tlkng1 is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Combo Box Selections to Individual Records

Good morning...

Not sure if this is Forms or Programming related; could be a little of both .

I indicated previously I am building an IT Helpdesk type tracking system for user accounts, trouble tickets etc. When a request comes in, 95% of the time things are standard; ie user needs an account unlock, they will also need a password reset; this is just how the security for the system in question works.

I created a form for the ticket requests with a combo box to allow the tech to select all of the appropriate ticket types so they only need to enter a single date of receipt/completion. Problem is, I didn't realize that the multiple selections would appear as a single record and am guessing that any query or report would hone in on identification using the multiple words and not count individual terms.

Due to our reporting requirements I need to be able to single out the ticket types. Is there a way to break apart the selections in the combo box, say an account unlock, account update and password reset, so they would record as three separate records?

Or am I wrong in guessing the system wouldn't separate out the terms even if multiple terms are contained as a single record?

Thanks

TK

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Sounds like you've got a multi-value field, which most of us avoid. One way to append multiple records into a table:

http://www.baldyweb.com/MultiselectAppend.htm
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

tlkng1 is offline Novice
    Ah, thanks . My code reading is still in the fledgling stage but I can see the path.

Windows XP Access 2007
    No problem, post back if you get stuck. I should have added that this might entail having a separate table for the detail items, much like an invoice header table with a detail table for the item(s) on the invoice.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

tlkng1 is offline Novice
    Yes, sort of the reason I went with the multi-value; I was trying to avoid having a separate table for each ticket type but it wouldn't be hard to create those.

TK

Windows XP Access 2007
    Wait, not a separate table for each ticket type. A table for the trouble tickets, and a table for the items associated with each ticket. Given your example, it would have 2 records for that ticket: account unlock and reset password.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.