POConnor1 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit

Unhappy Access 2003 help needed

Hi Everyone,
    I have recently transferred an Access 2003 database that we used on a standalone computer running windows XP to a common server so that we can get access to it from different areas of our plant. While the database seems to work fine on each individual computer, we can not see changes to the database made by the various different people from their own pcs. I have read up on this and it tells me to split the database but when I try to I get an error saying " Search key not found". There is also a problem when starting the VBA in 2 of the forms causing an error to pop up saying "failed to load".
    I am not that savvy with Access, so I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me. The file is not sensitive so I can share it if that makes it easier to solve.

Thanks,

Phil

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    It should definitely be split, for many reasons, but certainly so everybody sees the same data. We'll have to look at the errors you get after splitting, so post the actual code from one of them. Including the db could help, but split it first so we can recreate the problem.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

When I try to split it, I get the error "Search key not found'. Any ideas?

Windows XP Access 2007
    With some functionality, or just the act of splitting it?
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Just the act of splitting it. I go to the Database splitting wizard, click split database and then after a few secs I get the error popping up. When I press ok on the error, I am back at the fist page of the wizard.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Try splitting it manually. Make a copy of the database, name it Whatever_BE. Delete everything but the tables from it. In the original, delete the tables and then use the external data tab to link to the tables in the back end.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Two things I have read about this issue. One is field names that begin with spaces. Importing manually may get around this and allow you to split, but you'd still have a ticking time bomb waiting to go off later. The other is corruption, which you DEFINITELY invite by sharing one front end over a network.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

cbende2 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013
    Just to make some things clear for youPOConnor1:
    As recommended above, you will need to split your database. Splitting your database takes your current database, moves all your tables to another database (backend, backend=tables), and all your forms and queries to another(frontend, frontend=forms and queries and code) leaving you with two different access files. What you would want to do is have the backend on your server, shared. And each computer gets their own frontend copy. Like Micron said, dont share a front end that is on server. Make sure every computer that will be accessing the data has their own front end.

apr pillai is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    • The Main FE Database also can be kept on the Server itself for changes, when it becomes necessary.
    • A copy of FE Database can be made available from Server to the Machine of each User automatically, every time the Machine is turned on, by running an Autoexec.bat file from the Machine's Startup folder.
    • This will ensure that the updated version of the main Front-End Database is available to the User, with latest changes made by the developer. This way the database administrator can make changes to the main copy of FE on Server only and the Users will get the updated version every time.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.