vbagwell1967 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

DateAdd to add back weekends and holidays

I have a database created, that logs RFQs (Request for Quotes). The purpose of the log is to be able to identify Quotes that are past due, on time, coming due, and the total time the quote was a WIP. We receive emails from clients requesting these quotes - the date the email was received is a datestamp field called "RecdDate". We have a SQL Server backend and the date was set to European format "yyyy-mm-dd" which I have no control over. Below is the SQL code that I have so far:

SELECT dbo_tblQuoteTransactions.ProjName, dbo_tblQuoteTransactions.RecdDate, DateValue([RecdDate]) AS RecdDateUS, dbo_tblTURNAROUND.TURN_DAYS
    FROM dbo_tblQuoteTransactions INNER JOIN dbo_tblTURNAROUND ON dbo_tblQuoteTransactions.TURN_ID = dbo_tblTURNAROUND.TURN_ID;

When the associate logs the RFQ, they have a dropdown box that they can select the turnaround time (dbo_tblTURNAROUND.TURN_DAYS) that needs to be applied to the quote, which determines the DueDate. So in layman's terms, the formula is:

RecdDate + dbo_tblTURNAROUND.TURN_DAYS + Weekends + Holidays, i.e., we do not want the weekends or holidays to be a part of the turnaround time - only weekdays. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	query image.PNG 
Views:	16 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	29117

Problems:

1. I understood that the "w" in the formula: DueDate: DateAdd("w",[TURN_DAYS],[RecdDateUS]), is suppose to add only weekdays - this is not working.
    2. I have looked at a bunch of code, and I cannot get the weekend and holidays added back to the DueDate - most code I saw is working on a single date, but I am working with a range.

Here is my output to the query: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Query output image.PNG 
Views:	15 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	29118

This is the only thing that is keeping me from completing this project. Any help would be much appreciated!

jwhite is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Here is an example:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...3?forum=isvvba

If you don't want to create a holiday table and bump those days as well, then remove the check for it in the If statement.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    FWIW, in Help:

"When you use the "w" interval (which includes all the days of the week, Sunday through Saturday) to add days to a date, the DateAdd function adds the total number of days that you specified to the date, instead of adding just the number of workdays (Monday through Friday) to the date, as you might expect."

vbagwell1967 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi,

I am still not getting this. I found the following code and tried to use it, but I am not sure that I completely understand it. Please, can someone walk me through this?

Function addWorkDays(DaysBetween As Long, DueDate As Date) As Date , where "DaysBetween" is an interval selected from a dropdown box, and "DueDate" is a calculated field using "RecdDate" and "DaysBetween"

Dim RecdDate As Date , where "RecdDate" is the date the RFQ was received
    Dim I As Long, tmpDate As Date
    tmpDate = RecdDate , is this correct - the "TmpDate" is set to the "RecdDate"?
    I = 1
    Do While I <= DaysBetween , I understand this is the loop condition to loop until variable "I" is less than or equal to DaysBetween"
    If Weekday(tmpDate) <> 1 And Weekday(tmpDate) <> 7 And _ , I understand that this is checking the "RecdDate" to determine if it is a Saturday or Sunday (because "tmpDate" = "RecdDate"
    DCount("*", "tbl_Holidays", "HolidayDate = " & CDbl(tmpDate)) = 0 Then I = I + 1 , and is looking at the "Holidays" table and performing an aggregate count of "HolidayDate" that matchup in the "Holidays" table. What is "CDbl(TmpDate))?
    tmpDate = DateAdd("d", 1, tmpDate)
    Loop

addWorkDays = tmpDate ,What is this doing?

End Function

Please see my output below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Output.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	29170

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    The UDF (user defined function) addWorkDays returns a date based on the parameter "DaysBetween" interval and the parameter "DueDate" date.
    Code:
    Function addWorkDays(DaysBetween As Long, DueDate As Date) As Date 
    '  where "DaysBetween" is an interval  selected from a dropdown box, and "DueDate" is a calculated field using  "RecdDate" and "DaysBetween"

'********************
    'Code Courtesy of
    '  Paul Eugin
    '********************
        Dim RecdDate As Date 'where "RecdDate" is the date the RFQ was received
           'in this function, the variable "RecdDate" is not used, so it can be deleted

Dim tmpDate As Date
        Dim I As Long

tmpDate = DueDate    'is this correct - the "TmpDate" is set to the "RecdDate"?
           'No, tmpDate should be set to the parameter "DueDate"
        I = 1
        Do While I <= DaysBetween
         ' I don't like using the continuation line, so I changed the IF() function to the block syntax.
            If Weekday(tmpDate) <> 1 And Weekday(tmpDate) <> 7  And DCount("*", "tbl_Holidays", "HolidayDate = " & CDbl(tmpDate)) = 0  Then 
               I = I + 1
            End If
    'I understand that this is checking the "RecdDate" to determine if it is  a Saturday or Sunday (because "tmpDate" = "RecdDate" 
    ' and  is looking at the "Holidays" table and performing an aggregate  count  of  "HolidayDate" that matchup in the  "Holidays" table.  
    What is  "CDbl(TmpDate))?
    'No, this is checking if "tmpDate" is a weekend day. If "tmpDate" is not Sat or Sun AND "tmpDate" in not in tbl_Holidays, the use the DateAdd function to a one day to tmpDate.
        Loop

addWorkDays = tmpDate  'What is this doing?
          'This is how you return the value of calculations in a function. 

End Function

What is "CDbl(TmpDate))?
    The function CDbl() converts the parameter to a number- double type. Even though you see a "Date" in a table, it is actually stored as a double number type. Access has code to show you the number as a Date even though it is a number. This is why you can add 1 to a date and get a date.

If you had code that looked like
    Code:
    Dim tmpDate as Date

tmpDate = Date()
    tmpdate = tmpdate + 1
    executing the code would return tomorrow's date.

In the immediate window, try
    ? date()+1

For clarity, here is the code
    Code:
    Function addWorkDays(DaysBetween As Long, DueDate As Date) As Date
    '********************
    'Code Courtesy of
    '  Paul Eugin
    '********************

Dim tmpDate As Date
        Dim I As Long

tmpDate = DueDate
        I = 1
        Do While I <= DaysBetween
            If Weekday(tmpDate) <> 1 And Weekday(tmpDate) <> 7 And DCount("*", "tbl_Holidays", "HolidayDate = " & CDbl(tmpDate)) = 0 Then
                I = I + 1
            End If
        Loop

addWorkDays = tmpDate    'return the date

End Function
    that gives these results
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	query1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	29180
    Is this what you want???

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.