BaldPlumber is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Form design approach question

Hi

An old IBM S370 systems programmer here, so please go easy on me!

I am building a access application that allows the system administrator and potentially, individual users, to chose a colour scheme for all forms within the application. The scheme ID would be recorded in individual user table entries, or on a global table.

I have 10 color schemes identified and stored within a table, each scheme uses 5 RGB triplets and are assigned to each form as they are loaded by looping around the forms controls and setting their properties depending on their type, so far so good. It all works fine.

My query is what is the best way to graphically present the various schemes, in miniature, to the administrator or users, in order to be able to allow them to select the scheme they like best?

Ideally, I would like to be able to code 10 mini simplified forms, within a form and assign the various RGB values to each in turn directly from the colour scheme table. I really like this idea, but don't know how to do it!

An alternative would be to construct 10 separate graphic images and display them, but I don't like this approach because (1) I lose the ability to directly relate the stored RGB values and the actual images, which would be built outside of access and (2) It's a lot of work

The reason I don't know how to use my preferred approach is that I would presumably have to loop around the forms controls for 10 container objects that relate to my 10 colour schemes and then to have an inner loop to assign the right values according to the property object type within the holding object.

As you experts will understand by now, I am managing to confuse myself!

If anyone has done this and could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful. Better yet, If anyone has any sample code for this type of thing that they could share, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance
    Mike

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Customized color schemes for users? You're sooo nice to your users.

I don't understand your preferred approach. Since I don't understand it, can't say it would be any less work than the alternate.

I may be missing something, but if the idea is to allow users to select scheme seems just need images on a form, user clicks image and code retrieves appropriate scheme record and runs the code you say is already working.

Would it really be so hard to create images with Snipping tool?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

BaldPlumber is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thanks!

I hadn't thought of using that, perfect solution.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.