joelmeaders is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2016

Angry Odd issue copying queries with criteria references to form controls.....

This only started happening last week and is happening on multiple databases. Whenever I copy a query and try to paste it all of the criteria that reference form controls are popping up asking for a value. Anyone know how to stop this?

Name Auto-Correct and Tracking are off. Access 2016 32-bit.

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Where did you paste the query and are you running the query without the form open that has the referenced control? Sounds like it cannot find those controls.

Windows 8 Access 2016
    I only try to copy queries into the same database to duplicate. This happens to all queries with form control references as criteria. I can't even get to the paste option because of hundreds of parameter pop-ups. The referenced forms and controls exist and the queries all run without a single parameter pop-up as they should.

The issue is only on a single PC on all databases. They copy and paste just fine on other computers.

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    So you are in the db, have no forms or anything open. You highlight a query and right click and do Copy and before you can do anything else it opens the query and gives you those pop ups?

Maybe highlight the query, then at top left Office button, try to SaveAs and selct Object and query, see if it copies it. Or go to design and SQL window on query, copy the SQL code, then open blank query, go to Sql window and paste the code and save?

Not sure why you getting parameter pop ups, sounds like the queries are trying to open but cant find the controls.

Windows 8 Access 2016
    That is correct. Highly annoying.

I can open it and copy the SQL to a new query just fine and design view is fine too.

"Not sure why you getting parameter
    pop ups, sounds like the queries are trying to open but can't find the controls." Exactly my thoughts. I could imagine it doing this with Name Auto-Correct on but it isn't. I just ran Office Repair so we'll see if that works.

EDIT: Office repair did not work.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    The issue is only on a single PC on all databases. They copy and paste just fine on other computers.
    My guesses would be that a) the problem db is not in a trusted location, and/or b) this is a split db and the back end is not linked.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    My guesses would be that a) the problem db is not in a trusted location, and/or b) this is a split db and the back end is not linked.
    They are split but all locations are trusted. The front end clients are distributed to C:\Users\UserName\EmployeeLink\AppName automatically upon updates - clients dynamically connect to various back ends consisting of SQL servers and Access DB backends. No issues on clients.

The development copy of the apps is where the issue is and only on my main machine. Linked or unlinked I get the same issue. I just tested on a query with a single field from an internal temp table (not linked) and no parameters/criteria and it appears to be launching it seven times (I see the query running on bottom right) before copying.

Apparently the issue is either worse or I didn't copy many queries last week. I even reinstalled Office a few minutes ago and have the same issue. Tested on empty, brand new database and same issue.

Windows 8 Access 2016
    EDIT: Nevermind, started happening again.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Then I have no great idea, since if in design view I alter a query so that it would prompt if it were run, save it, close it, copy/paste it, it doesn't run. I've never heard of the copy/paste action causing a query to run. I presume we are talking about doing this via keyboard/mouse inputs and not code. Not sure what your real problem is, since the only manual action I've ever known to run a query is to open or switch to a data view (or run from the ribbon). The fact that this behaviour is limited to one pc indicates that the reason the criteria parameters can't be resolved is limited to that machine, but it doesn't explain the bizarre behaviour of running when copied.

Someone here with some experience on this may come forward, otherwise you could compact & zip a copy of your db (with sensitive info removed if necessary) as long as it doesn't require a whole lot of coding changes to get around things like network paths that are invalid to anyone else. I suppose the back end would be required as well. I have no other suggestions at present; sorry.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.