Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

DAO vs MSO ##.# Database Engine Object Library??

I've always used a reference to DAO 3.6 Object Library. Recently I found that code using DAO references will compile and run without errors (notwithstanding improper use of properties or methods) IF MSO ##.# Database Engine Object Library is referenced instead. However, if you try to reference both, you get an error
    "Name conflicts with existing module, project or object library" - which seems odd since I'm pretty sure they're not the same library file.

Does anyone have good links for
    a) explaining all/most of the mysterious MSO libraries (excluding the obvious Excel, Outlook, etc.)

b) or one that at least sheds light on the 2 mentioned references?

In checking this one out, I may decide to post another thread regarding the dim-witted decision to not permit expanding the width of the references or table linking dialogs. If memory serves, I figured out how to do that long ago, but have forgotten exactly how, and it may not be possible anymore.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    I've always used a reference to DAO 3.6 Object Library. Recently I found that code using DAO references will compile and run without errors (notwithstanding improper use of properties or methods) IF MSO ##.# Database Engine Object Library is referenced instead. However, if you try to reference both, you get an error
    "Name conflicts with existing module, project or object library" - which seems odd since I'm pretty sure they're not the same library file.

Does anyone have good links for
    a) explaining all/most of the mysterious MSO libraries (excluding the obvious Excel, Outlook, etc.)
    b) or one that at least sheds light on the 2 mentioned references?
    To answer b:

The DAO 3.6 library is the older version used by Office 2003 and older.

Starting with Acess 20907, there is now the Microsoft Office XX.0 Access Database Engine which is the new and improved version of DAO. It should be used whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    In checking this one out, I may decide to post another thread regarding the dim-witted decision to not permit expanding the width of the references or table linking dialogs. If memory serves, I figured out how to do that long ago, but have forgotten exactly how, and it may not be possible anymore.
    AFAIK, it has never been possible to modify these built-in forms. IIRC, they have never be updated/changed by Microsoft since the first time they were released.

I use my own custom built forms for both that are much bigger.

the Microsoft Office XX.0 Access Database Engine which is the new and improved version of DAO.
    Kind of thought so, because that error was like "Name conflicts with existing ..." if both are referenced.
    AFAIK, it has never been possible to modify these built-in forms.
    I would tend to agree BUT I'd swear that I did modify the LTM loonnnngg ago. Maybe it was 2.0 or 97. I just can't remember how, other than you had to copy the wizard db, modify the form and replace the original version of the db. I believe that this could only have been possible if it were not an mde, and I'm reluctant to profess that it wasn't as it has been for a long time now. Maybe that's why I can't find the original web pages that provided the instructions.
    Thanks for your input.

HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    You are correct about Access 97 and Microsft making available for download a copy of the Wizard MDA files that were not compiled. This would allow you to view the source code. I never looked to see if it contained the Link Table Manger and References. My interest in them was to see how to create a MDA. At least for Acess 97, it may have been possible to modify the MDA files to do what yu wanted.

AFAIK, Microsoft has not released the source for the Wizards since Access 97.

Thanks. I knew I hadn't lost my mind completely - at least, not yet.
    I guess when it comes to M$oft, the more that things improve, the more they remain the same.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.