Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ohmydatabase is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Properly Displaying Special Characters in ListBox

Hey,

So I'm trying to properly display strings in a listbox and have run into an issue I can't find a clear definition on. When adding a string to a listbox, some care must be taken to make sure it displays correctly. My problem is with the hyphen character "-". When I insert a string that includes a hyphen into the listbox, the listbox assumes that the hyphen is a delimiter of some kind. It will break the string at the hyphen and display in remaining string in the next column. I've already added some logic that adds additional quotation marks to the string when there is a semicolon or comma present in the the string. (This works fine) However, I tried to add the same logic for a string that includes the hyphen and haven't had the same success. I haven't tried doubling the character "--", but I vaguely remember having to do that for the "&" character.

Does anyone know the proper way to get hyphens to display in the listbox? Are there any other special characters other than "; , -" that I should be concerned about and how should I go about handling them?

Thank you in advance.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What do you mean by 'insert into listbox'? You are using ValueList for RowSourceType? These are strings for the RowSource property?

Not getting the break at hyphen.

I can't get comma and semi-colon accepted as literal characters.

Might have to build a table with these strings and use that as RowSource.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    However, I tried to add the same logic for a string that includes the hyphen and haven't had the same success.
    Aside from answering June7's questions, post what didn't work, because as a value list, this works: test;apple;orange;"ban;ana";"apple-pie"
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

The RowSourceType is set to ValueList. In VBA, I create an SQL Query and step through the desired recordset using DAO. While Not rs.EOF, I use the listbox.AddItem Method to add each of the values I want one by one. The Listbox is unbound, I add everything through VBA. Hope this clarifies my problem.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Hope this clarifies my problem.
    For me, no. I thought I had the process figure out - which it turns out, I did
    When adding a string to a listbox,
    It's probably a matter of concatenating syntax, so I'm no further ahead.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

June7 is offline VIP
    I don't get it. If you can build an SQL SELECT statement to open a recordset and loop through the recordset to add all those values as listbox items, why not just use VBA to set the listbox RowSource property to the SQL statement?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

So I was advised to set the RowSourceType to a Query by someone (much better at Access than I am). I tried it, but got nit-picky about a certain value. When using the RowSourceType = Query everything was added (much easier), but the Boolean value I have for 'Ongoing' displayed as Yes, or No. I really wanted to say 'Progress' or 'Completed' so I went back to using the Value List. (Note: The AddEscapeCharacters2 Function adds quotation marks in the string if they are encountered)

Set db = CurrentDb()
    i = 0
    Me.listStatus.RowSourceType = "Value List"
    rowSQLStr = "SELECT * FROM [" & tblStatus & "] WHERE Ongoing = " & varType & " "
    rowSQLStr = rowSQLStr & "AND Author = '" & UserFullName & "' "
    rowSQLStr = rowSQLStr & "ORDER BY Date2, Program, SubProgram;"
    Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(rowSQLStr)
    While Not rs.EOF
    ReDim Preserve idArray(i)
    ReDim Preserve progressArray(i)
    'Add items one-by-one to listbox
    programStr = rs!Program
    subProgramStr = Nz(rs!SubProgram, "")
    TaskStr = Nz(rs!Task, "")
    dateStr = rs!DateField
    statusStr = rs!BodyText
    statusID = rs!ID
    ongoingBool = rs!Ongoing
    editDateStr = rs!editDate
    If ongoingBool = True Then
    ongoingStr = "In Progress"
    Else
    ongoingStr = "Complete"
    End If
    Dim tempStr As String
    tempStr = statusStr
    If InStr(tempStr, Chr(34)) > 0 Then
    tempStr = AddEscapeCharacters2(tempStr)
    End If
    If InStr(tempStr, ",") > 0 Or InStr(tempStr, ";") > 0 Then
    tempStr = """" & tempStr & """"
    End If
    With Me.listStatus
    .AddItem statusID & ";" & programStr & ";" & subProgramStr & ";" & TaskStr & ";" & tempStr & ";" & ongoingStr & ";" & dateStr & ";" & editDateStr
    End With
    idArray(i) = statusID
    progressArray(i) = ongoingBool
    rs.MoveNext
    i = i + 1
    Wend

June7 is offline VIP
    Please post code within CODE tags to retain indentation and easier readability.

Consider:

"SELECT *, IIf([Ongoing], 'In Progress', 'Complete') AS Status FROM [" & tblStatus & "] WHERE Ongoing = " & varType & " "

Would the above query alter the order in which my values are added to the multi-column ListBox? The ordering of the tblStatus is very much different, so I suspect that "SELECT *" might cause some issues...

How would I manipulate my query to select the exact fields I wish, in the order I wish?

June7 is offline VIP
    The same way is done in any query.

"SELECT field1, field2, field3, IIf([Ongoing], 'In Progress', 'Complete') AS Status FROM [" & tblStatus & "] WHERE Ongoing = " & varType & " "

Add an ORDER BY clause if you want.

@June7
    That worked great. Thank you!

I haven't used this way of setting RowSource before. Now that the entries are in the ListBox, how can I extract information about a given record? (Once it is selected that is.)

Do I need to open the same query that I used as the RowSource and step through the record set adding the values I want to an array? I did this to pass around the ID's of the records that were in that ListBox. Whenever a record was selected, I knew the index in the ListBox, which meant I knew which index in my IDArray() I currently had selected. I could then pull the exact ID for that entry, use it do whatever manipulation I needed with that record and re-define the ListBox/IDArray() as needed. (Hope that made sense..)

June7 is offline VIP
    Don't really understand what you are doing.

If you have selected a 'given record' why do you need a recordset and array?

Is the listbox set for multi-select?

why do you need a recordset and array?
    You're right, I don't. I've figured this one out. Thank you so much for the help.
    I have a single-select ListBox. It so happens that the first field of a selected record can be found using the following code:

Code:
    x = Me.myListBox.ItemData(Me.myListBox.ListIndex)
    It also turned out that the first field (the ID) was exactly what I needed!

June7 is offline VIP
    If you just want the value in the listbox box after an item is selected, simply reference the listbox.

x = Me.myListBox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.