sagar is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Issues related to linking some tables in my contacts database application

At the outset, I feel it's a privilege for a novice Access learner like me to get valuable advice from this esteemed Forum.
    I need help in resolving the following issue(s) in my contacts database management:

I have created a contacts database in Access 2016 for my company. All tables l are in a one-to-many relationship joined by a primary key from each table:

1. TblOrganizationType (Eg., Education; Health; Government etc.)
    2. TblOrganizations (Eg., Xyz University; Ministry of Health, Medical Colleges etc.)
    3. TblInstitutions (Eg., College of Medicine; College of Science, Research Council etc.)
    4. TblDepartments (Eg., Department of Psychology; Department of Research etc.)
    5. TblSections (Eg., Medication education Section; Communication Section; Housing Section; Transport Section etc.)
    6. TblEmployeeContactInfo (Eg., Title, FirstName, LastName, Position, Tel Ext., Mobile1, Mobile2, Email1, Email2 etc.)

My queries:

1. Although TblSections is linked with TblDepartments, some Departments, in fact, do NOT have any Sections under them, as per our organizational structure.
    2. Secondly, TblSections is linked with TblEmployeeContactInfo. Therefore, when I run a query based on all the above tables, the output doesn’t retrieve all the data as some departments have no sections under them, but still have employees linked with some of these departments.
    3. What I need is to be able to design appropriate forms to input the data into the tables; and the query or report should retrieve all related data of all employeeContacts irrespective of some departments having no section(s) under them, while some other departments have related sections under the specific departments.

Will appreciate any suggestions to correct my database design to suit my needs.
    Kind regards,
    Sagar

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Consider options:

1. department is it own section, name would be in both tables - Department of Research would have Research Section. BTW, I would not repeat "Department of" in names, nor "Section"

2. have a 'dummy' section name such as "No Sections"
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

sagar is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks June7. Appreciate your suggestion. Wl try this method and see how it works!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.