Arrow Putting a Finished Database up on the Network

OK. I created this great database for the company I am working for, and now it is time to move the damn thing on to the server. The IT guy here, who is 57 and used to working on IBMs from the 80's, moved it as an accessible(no pun intended) file on the server.
    Here is the problem and what my boss wants done. When you try to make a correction to the file, and someone else has it open, then the file correction will not save and automatically update the saved database. Every other person has to close the database if someone wants to make a change/addition. How do I get aroud this? Load it up on our SQL server?
    Also, my boss wants to apply certain restrictions to some computers. She wants some computers to only be able to view the data and not able to change anything. She also wants others to have a password encription to changing the files. Thanks in advance to anyone that wants to help me!!!!!!

Hi there,

a first step to take could be splitting the database into a front end with all the queries,forms,reports and code in it, and a back-end with the tables + relations. The back-end remainsd on the server, the front-end, which links to the back-end tables is put on the users computer.
    second: what do you mean by changing a file: changing the objects (queries, forms, reports, ...) or changing the data? Unless the database is locked exclusively by 1 user it is possible to have more then 1 user simultaneously entering or updating the data. The record locking options can be set for the whole database through the advanced tab of the Access Options window, or be arranged for each form through the Records locks property of the form.
    Changing trhe objects normally is done by the designer (= you in this case). When the need for a new object rises you just change the design model on your computer and then distribute the new front end to all users.

Hope this helps a bit

greetings
    Noëlla

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.