wolfgoesusa is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Gas Station Inventory Database

Hello everybody,

I'm Wolfgang, recently moved to the states and trying to create a database for inventory of gas stations. I hope you could help me out, even tho im new to this board!

I am also pretty new to databases, it has been a while since i did this at Vienna business university but at least i have some basic knowledge.

What i am trying to do is create a database for gas stations. Every day reports of each station fly in and have to be added to the database to keep track of the gas inventories.
    There are about 25 Stations and a bunch of different fuels. I want to keep track of each day's actual inventory, booked inventory (to check overage or shortage) and the transactions of the inventory (sales and delivery)

So far i have a table for

Stations
    Product(Gas)
    GasInventory
    GasInventoryTransactions

I have some problems with the constellation and relationships of those tables as i have the feeling that i might think to complicated.
    Do i need a seperated table for transactions? or do i just put everything in one table?

Is there anything you could suggest for that kind of database? has anybody created something similar and has some tips for me?
    Kind of getting frustrated with it a little bit, as it has been quite a while and i know that the proper modelling of the tables with their relations is pretty much the most important thing!

Thank you

Wolfgang

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    why is tGasInventoryTransaction part of Inventory?
    seems to me, tTransactions is its own table, which could relate to tStation and tPump. but not inventory.
    (just my thought)

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I might have a copy of an old db my partner and I created long ago for this purpose as a paid venture. As I recall, it had to consider tank dips as well, which is something you may not have considered. The owner had 2 stations, but I can't recall at the moment if the db was stand alone (one for each) or the same db which distinguished between the stations. Not sure if he would agree to just giving away a copy though.

wolfgoesusa is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016
    Right now tGasInventory relates to tStations and tProduct
    and tGasInventoryTransactions also relates to tStations and tProduct

how do i create a new record in tGasInventory automatically when a record in tGasInventoryTransactions is created?

Let's say i add a record in transactions saying i sold 500 gallons and 700 were delivered... that means 200 gallons need to be added to the inventory. How can i simultaniously create a new inventory record that adds those 200 gallons to the gallons of the record of the date before? (because i need a record for each day so i can track inventory level changes on a daily basis).

edit: let me know if something sounds unclear, my first language is german...

jwhite is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    In lieu of getting the sample database from Micron, http://allenbrowne.com/appinventory.html is a great demo on how to handle sales and refilling.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.