crunch is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Setting up a simple database on a network

I am trying to set up a very simple database that only 1 user will be updating. I created the database from scratch and just have 1 table and form. I installed the database on a network location and mapped it using the UNC. When I try accessing it I get the message saying it can only be opened up as a read only database? I have attached the database in case anyone wants to check it out and give me some advice.

pdebaets is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Check the folder permissions (right-click on folder > Properties > Security) where the back-end database resides. The end user should have modify, read, write, and read & execute access.

crunch is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pdebaets View Post
    Check the folder permissions (right-click on folder > Properties > Security) where the back-end database resides. The end user should have modify, read, write, and read & execute access.
    Thanks for the reply! I had already given the user full control of the folder containing the access files. I started off by trying to split the database but gave up due to having so many problems with getting things to work. So I decided to simplify things and just have one database for each user and put all the files in each user's folder. Silly I know since it is very inefficient but I just need to get something up so each user (broker) can start adding contacts and listings to the database. I then mapped the unc path to the shared folder and have tried opening the form the user enters the data into. I still get the read only error message? What else am I missing?

Having multiple sets of your data is going to lead to more problems. What if one broker enters the same customer information as another broker?

I think you should set up the standard Access front-end on each user computer, and back-end on the server shared folder. Then link the tables from the FE to the BE. I.e. A split database. If you have problems with that, let's address those problems.

crunch is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I hear ya! I was only going to export the data to a excel spreadsheet from each individual database. So with this simplistic setup duplicate entries wouldn't be possible since each user has his/her own seperate database. I just figured if I can't get this simple design to work I would have little chance of getting a more complicated design up and running.

crunch is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pdebaets View Post
    Having multiple sets of your data is going to lead to more problems. What if one broker enters the same customer information as another broker?

I think you should set up the standard Access front-end on each user computer, and back-end on the server shared folder. Then link the tables from the FE to the BE. I.e. A split database. If you have problems with that, let's address those problems.
    Now I am back to my original problem with creating a single database with a front and back end. I have several brokers, each with their own set of contacts, some might be duplicates with another broker. I have many home and land listings, these should be unique so duplication is unlikely. If I create a single database for the company and seperate forms for each broker to populate the tables with, how do I avoid duplicate contacts and how do I organize the contacts seperately for each broker? If I create a table and form for each broker it seems I would have to do so from scratch each time since the data on the forms must be linked to the seperate tables. I will eventually have 50 - 100 brokers, is there a way to create a template for each broker so I wouldn't have to do so much work each time a broker is added?

Here's an idea for you:

Create a "BrokerUserName" field in the contacts table and put the windows user name for the broker in it. You can use the Onopen event procedure for the form to set the default value for the BrokerUserName control. You can make the BrokerUserName control hidden on your form. You can get the windows user name using this function: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0008.htm . Now use "Select * from MyContacts where BrokerUserName = fOsUserName();" as your contacts form record source.

crunch is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I am a novice with Access so this is a little over my head. I tried to follow your suggestion but when I open the form I get an error saying:
    This error occurs when an event has failed to run because Microsoft Office Access cannot evaluate the location of the logic for the event. For example, if the OnOpen property of a form is set to =[Field], this error occurs because Access expects a macro or event name to run when the event is fired.

Here is my Event Proceedure code:

Option Compare Database
    Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)
    Private Declare Function apiGetUserName Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias _
    "GetUserNameA" (ByVal lpBuffer As String, nSize As Long) As Long
    Function fOSUserName() As String
    ' Returns the network login name
    Dim lngLen As Long, lngX As Long
    Dim strUserName As String
    strUserName = String$(254, 0)
    lngLen = 255
    lngX = apiGetUserName(strUserName, lngLen)
    If (lngX > 0) Then
    fOSUserName = Left$(strUserName, lngLen - 1)
    Else
    fOSUserName = vbNullString
    End If
    End Function

crunch is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    "Now use "Select * from MyContacts where BrokerUserName = fOsUserName();" as your contacts form record source."

how do I impliment this? Can you explain it so a novice like me can understand?

First, see the instructions on the web site link that I provided above :

"Paste the following code in a new module and call the function fOSUserName."

"Now use "Select * from MyContacts where BrokerUserName = fOsUserName();" as your contacts form record source."

Open your contacts form in design mode, and open the property sheet for the form. Find the RecordSource property. You can set this to be a table, query, or SQL Statement. The SQL statement I provided above should work and let each broker see their own records.

You may need to learn a bit more about Access development and VBA before continuing with this project. See the tutorials at my site: http://www.peterssoftware.com/links.htm

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.