charitha is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2007

Access DB does not open with correct password

I have a password protected access database which was using for about 2 years. Yesterday I tried to open the same with correct password but it says "not a valid password". This is a *.accdb file. I tried to open the same in a different computer with same password and it works perfectly. There is no typing mistake here since please . Have anyone seen this kind of issue before or do you have any idea what is happening?
    My OS is windows 8.1 with office 2007.

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Go to PC that works, take out the password. Then go to PC that it did not work, see if you can get in with no password. If so, set the password again on that PC and save it. Or maybe put in a new password to test it out.

Make sure you have a good backup before you do anything.

jwhite is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    By chance are you using workgroup security? This option was still available in Ac2007 and Ac2010 but only through code.

Windows 8 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulzie View Post
    Go to PC that works, take out the password. Then go to PC that it did not work, see if you can get in with no password. If so, set the password again on that PC and save it. Or maybe put in a new password to test it out.

Make sure you have a good backup before you do anything.
    Thank you for the reply. The DB can be opened after remove the password. But cannot set the password from the PC which gives the problem and it gives an error "invalid argument". I tried setting a password for a fresh database but the result is same it does not allow to set a password.

Windows 8 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
    By chance are you using workgroup security? This option was still available in Ac2007 and Ac2010 but only through code.
    Thank you for the reply jwhite, it is not clear what you have mentioned. Could you please explain same. Please note that I have not used any coding on this DB and this contains 6 tables and 5 quires only. Thank you.

Windows 8 Access 2007
    Could anyone find a solution for this please?

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    you have not clarified what type of password protection you are using. If there is no coding then it is probable you have used the 'Encrypt with password' option in File>Info.

If so and the db is not split and you have multiple users then the chances are the db has become corrupted. In a commercial environment, it is important to put the tables in one db in a suitable folder on the network (the backend) and each user has their own copy of the front end on their local machine (the frontend) linked to the backend.

If you haven't it is probably down to some form of windows security in which case talk to your IT dept.

Suggest the solution is to

1. remove password as before
    2. create a new empty database and copy all the objects from the original db - I would take the opportunity to split the database now
    3. if you are going to password protect the data in the backend, do so before linking the front end to the back end
    4. you can still password protect the front end as well if you wish

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.