Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Why are these txtboxes empty?

In the attached db, the ffrmEmail does not show any MeetingID's or MeetingDates. The record source for frmEmail is qryPersonnelmeeting3, and the control source for MeetinggID and Meeting Date are clearly shown in the property sheet. Yet, I get no info when I try to out one in their respective textboxes.

They should work.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I checked the property sheet and each of the textboxes MeetingID and MeetingDate are enabled and unlocked. Yet, they do not contain any info about the meeting when I go through the forward and reverse buttons.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    First, the form is set for Data Entry Yes. This means the form opens only to new record row and does not retrieve existing records.
    Second, no values in field tblAttendance.ysnMeetingID.

What is purpose of this form? What table do you want to enter data into?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    You can put in new meeting and the textboxes will record the date and appropriate meeting number. In other words the new MeetingID has a number that is one unit larger than the last one in the record. If there are twelve meetings currently in the db, then the new MeetingID will be 13. The first MeetingID is always one.

That is helpful, but why is it not recording or taking into account the meetings that are already in the db.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

June7 is offline VIP
    tblAttendance needs MeetingID in the ysnMeetingID foreign key field. Basic Primary/Foreign key relationship. Pick a meeting from tblMeetings to associate attendance record with.

Again, a form allows entering new record data for only one table. Which table do you want to add record to?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Code:
    First, the form is set for Data Entry Yes. This means the form opens only to new record row and does not retrieve existing records.
     Second, no values in field tblAttendance.ysnMeetingID.

What is purpose of this form? What table do you want to enter data into?
    The form is one that a user can use to send a meeting invite to a person, if their name is missing from a
    list of people invited to said meeting.

That is what it is for. You have the choice of meeting and employees (names and email addresses) and can even send an email from the form. I have done it already.

it gives a person a chance to run down the list of meeting, dates of meetings, and who is coming to the meeting, and then send an invite to someone if their name is miising. In order to do that one must go through the meetings and their dates. I cannot do that.

I am not going to actually enter anything, I will just pick it from a list.

It worked before.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

June7 is offline VIP
    Don't understand. If you 'pick from a list' that is bound to a field then you change the value in the record. This IS entering something.

Doesn't change the fact you have a query that joins tables on pk/fk fields yet your fk field has no data so therefore no info from tblMeetings can be retrieved.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    A manager is looking at the list of people in the upcoming scheduled meetings. He wants to put add a person who is not in the list of invited attendees. He opens frmEmail. Selects MeetingID or MeetingDate from a list which he can run through using the forward and reverse arrows shown. When he finds the correct meeting (either MeetingID or MeetingDate) he choses to send an email to new invitation.

The email has the employees name, MeetingID, MeetingDate, date sent, and who sent the invitation. It also records that the invite has been sent.

It then checks the box at the bottom of the form for the combination that I just told you about. All this should be done automatically on the press of a few buttons (the fewer the better).

The forward and backward arrows do not work now. The meetings data both MeetingID and MeetignDate are entered before all of this on a separate form. Thus the db has a record of them before using frmEmail.

For some reason I cannot go through the meetings and their dates. It simply will not let me.

It worked for awhile and then when I changed few things it stopped. What is going on?

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    The attached file is a an earlier db when the frmEmail ran flawlessly. Open up frmEmail and run through the meeting info using the arrows.

This is how it should run. It does not on the current version of the db.

Why can't not the new db do the same? It should.

Any help appreciated. thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lopu Reed

In thus file the form has data entry set to yes and it works fine. I am not sure why it does not work in the failing db. If you know please tell me.

Lou Reed
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    In that version, tblAttendance has data in MeetingID field.

DataEntry set to Yes does confuse me. Should not show existing records. Maybe because the query is not editable Access ignores the DataEntry Yes setting. Cannot edit any fields, whereas in the first database you posted, some fields are editable in the query. Never encountered a form based on a non-editable query so never really thought about this, but makes sense.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I thought that i posed some Snagit screenshots of the macros of the on the one db that does work and on the db that does not work. In the one that does work the macro shows something like cboSelectPersonnel and on the other there is just an error. Where in the db is cboSelectPersonnel? I simply cannot find it. But I believe that it is crucial to finding out what is going on here.

I can't find the control cboSelectPersonnel?

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

June7 is offline VIP
    Perhaps you meant cboEmployeeName?

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Well, actually I did not. I meant cboSelectPersonnel. It is in the MACRO keys (next, previous) frmEmail. That is the only difference that I could find between the db that does not work and the db that does work in frmEmail.. If your look in the source code of the MACROS for those two keys it becomes very clear that there is something not correct here. The db that fails has errors where the db that works has cbOSelectPersonnel.

I just wish I knew what was causing the error.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Code:
    DataEntry set to Yes does confuse me. Should not show existing records. Maybe because the query is not editable Access ignores the DataEntry Yes setting. Cannot edit any fields, whereas in the first database you posted, some fields are editable in the query. Never encountered a form based on a non-editable query so never really thought about this, but makes sense.

I am not sure how to tell if a query is editable and when one is not. The same goes for a query field.

The question is how do I change my latest db, so it will work like the example that I showed you previously.

That is really what this is all about.

Edit query fields, query is not editable what is all thta about?

Any help appreciated. Y\Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

June7 is offline VIP
    A query is editable if you can type/enter data into a field.

Using all the pieces of info I've offered, fix the broken form frmEmail by:

1. set DataEntry to No

2. enter data into ysnMeetingID field of tblAttendance

3. Do you really need a combobox for the email address? Are users supposed to select an email address? This combobox is bound to the field in tblPersonnel which means they will change the value in that record. Do you really want them to change the email address for an employee? With this combobox, they will actually replace the address with a PersonnelID

4. The macro references cboSelectPersonnel but doesn't do anything with it, what do you want to do? If cboSelectPersonnel doesn't exist then maybe the macro should reference cboEmployeeName or change cboEmployeeName name to cboSelectPersonnel. This macro is the same in both dbs, but I can't find a control named cboSelectPersonnel in either.

After items 1 and 2 the form buttons btnPrevious and btnNext work just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.