MacMac is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Moving Access database to SharePoint

I have a one-man project in which I'm converting four spreadsheet tables into an Access database. It's fairly simple, though this old-hand with Oracle and SQL Server is struggling to become accustomed to the different ways of the Access world.

I need to have a group of team members (around a dozen) perform data entry and maintenance on this simple database in a shared-access mode. I found that I can create a split-database and post the "master" half on a Windows share and give a copy of each client/slave half to each user. Then, each user can open the client and perform the work. I tried (purely as a demo) it and it works.

But my company is retiring all use of Windows file shares soon, so I need a different mechanism.

I've read that I can use the split-database mode with a SharePoint server as the master, so I've asked for one to be set up for my use.

Here's the question:
    How do set this up in SharePoint? I'm totally new to SharePoint, and there are no technical resources in the organization who can assist.

Can anyone offer advice, or point me to specific instructions?

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    You need to read this first. Microsoft is shutting down some areas of this: https://support.office.com/en-us/art...8-81e6d3e711e8

MacMac is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for that. I'm not sure how it affects me ... because I don't intend to write an app yet . Instead, I just want users to bring up a query as a "datasheet view" on their Access client on the laptop and be able to see and edit table data.

If I were able to do the split-database thing and post the master on a mountable Windows file share, I'd be almost done already. But I can't and so I've resorted to creating the split-database using SharePoint to host the master side. (I just don't know yet how to do that!)

The centralized data will allow simultaneous access across the organization, and eliminate the person-to-person spreadsheet handoffs that are currently being done.

That's for introduction in June, and will be used for a few months only.

Once we prove that better data management will improve operations we will get budget to add another person to the project, and then build an app. Perhaps on SQL Server. Perhaps a web app.

Until then I just need to learn how to get this database hosted on SharePoint. At the moment I know absolutely nothing about it.

MacMac is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I've published my Access database to SharePoint. Consider this thread closed/solved.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.