Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Combo box issues

In the db of the attached file, in the form frmEmail, the two combo boxes one for Employee and one for Branchhead allow one to select a name, but do not allow one to put the name in the combo box after the selection. The email address combo works, these two that I outlined in the previous sentence do not.

What is wrong here?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013
    I think your main problem is the query that you are using for the forms record source. "FullName" can not be entered in the query. Not sure if that is beacuse of the query being used in the forms query or because FullName is a calculated field in the table. I never use calculated fields in tables. I prefer to do calculations in queries and forms.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    That would explain it. Full name is a calculated filed. I guess it does not like calculated fileds. So how do I fix this?

Any help appreciated.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

So how do I fix this?
    Sorry, but I don't think I can help you with that. I would need a better understanding of your database and what you are trying to represent with it. I feel that understanding would require more time than I can spare.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Lou_Reed is offline VIP

This version of Division Dashboard works and it uses a calculated field

The attached file has the db that works on the form frmEmail. This uses the email address as the control source not Fullname. But it has no problem with putting in Fullname in the combo box as my original did hve a problem. It works as it should. So maybe I cannot use the Fullname calculated field as a control source. But I can format the output so Fullname is seen and a non-calculated field is now the control source. Please check the attached file and reply I am curious as to why one works and the other does not.

Any thoughts.

Any ehlp appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed
    Attached Files Attached Files

You say that it works as it should but you can not add new records using this form either.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I can. It is no problem fr me. I a not adding records. All I am doing is adding names and email addresses to a form email that can be conveniently sent out. I am only adding records to an email A form email. That is all in has to do. It does it very well. If I can get the problem db to do it, I will be happy. If you have MS Outlook you can try it.

It will not work with any other email system. So there is no use in trying it with any of them.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I believe that you are correct, I tried on this version of MS Access 2016 and it did not work!

This I cannot explain. It work fine yesterday. I am simply at a loss to speak about this.

You were right.I owe you an apology.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

IMHO and without any proper understanding of your db I believe the problem is caused by the use of too many joined tables as the record source for your form.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Well how do I avoid the use of joined tables? MS Access 2010 has them for a purpose so I would not question their utility. I might have used too many, but this is the first that I heard that they could not be in combo boxes. There must me a work around.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

If you read my last post again you will see that I questioned the use of multiple tables as the record source of a form not of a combo box. In any case, just because Microsoft make something available/possible does not mean that it is a good idea to use it.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I understand, you point is clear. I checked some things on the internet and you are right. The issue for me now is what to do about it.? I really am looking for a work around - nothing more.

I guess that I could go back and start at the table (the record source) and work all the way up to the form, but maybe their is something else here. Something not as elaborate.

If you know of it please let me know.column

My solution that I would use is too have a two column combo box with first and last name as column 0 and 1, respectively. Then the combo box has no calculated fields.

What do you think? can this be done?

Why is it bad practice to use calculated fields in general, but it is okay to use and/or create them in queries?

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    In a combo box, I want to display an employee's fullname. In the table I have this,now, as two fields first name and last name. This is obviously a calculated filed and cannot be used in a combo box.

However, I decided to use say the first name and the last in building a combo box and have two fields in a combo box, one for first name and one for last name. The comb box only displays one field, not two and there is the problem.

I cannot use a calculated field in a comb box and I cannot put in two fields in a combo box. If there is a way to put two fields in a combo box, please let me know because I have not yet found a way to display two fields in a combo box.

Still I would like to get each employees name fullname in the combo box. I do not know how to do it yet. There other uniquely identifying fields like emailaddress etc,

So how can I do it? This seems like it should be awfully simple.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I was going to make it a list box which I know can display more than one field and then zero out all fieles that I do not want in the list box. Would that work?

R,

Lou Reed
    Last edited by Lou_Reed; 05-01-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: correction

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I really need an answer to this. I am stuck here for now. I cannot put more than one field in a comb box and I cannot put a calculated filed in a combo box. So how do I put a complete name
    in the combo box?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.