laniebe is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Question Combine Multiple Fields from One Table - Union Query?

Hello! I am trying to figure out how to combine multiple fields in one table. Because this data pulls automatically from our inventory management system, I am unable to format it differently.

What data looks like from system:
    ContainerNumber, PartNumber, Part Quantity, Serial Num, Serial Num2, Serial Num3.... etc (up to 15).
    SCAC123456, 514-296, 3, 198797, 198798, 198799

As you can see, we have 3 part quantity and then three serial numbers. I want to combine those serial numbers into one column for reporting purposes. If possible, I could have the container num, part num, and part quantity lines repeat and the serial numbers all in one column, I could then group / sort by container, part, and quantity and then below that would be the three serial numbers.

Is there a way to combine the fields above to retain the header information (container, part, quantity) and then have 1 column for the 15 possible serial numbers for that shipment?

I built a Union All Query to combine the 15 Serial Number columns but it then has no header information I can tie it back to. HELP!

Thank you!

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes, that would be a UNION query. Should provide your attempted query.

I don't see 3 part quantity, only 1 [Part Quantity] field.

SELECT ContainerNumber, PartNumber, [Part Quantity] As PartQty, [Serial Num] AS SerNum, "Ser0" AS Source FROM tablename
    UNION SELECT ContainerNumber, PartNumber, Part Quantity, [Serial Num1], "Ser1" FROM tablename
    UNION SELECT ContainerNumber, PartNumber, Part Quantity, [Serial Num2], "Ser2" FROM tablename
    ...;

Advise no spaces or punctuation/special characters (underscore only exception) in naming convention.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I have attached the database I am working with. The union query worked, EXCEPT, it is now showing a "blank" row for each line. Is there a way to remove the duplicate blank lines WITHOUT putting Is Not Null? - Reason being, some lines do not have a serial number so it may be blank for a reason. Thank you!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    If you don't want the record then have to use filter criteria. What do you have against Is Not Null?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Normally that would be what I would choose BUT some of the records in the database have a blank in the serial number field because they are parts that do not have an assigned serial number. What I'm not sure about is why the parts that DO have an assigned serial number are producing a record with a blank serial number.

June7 is offline VIP
    I don't understand the confusion. There are records with no value in SERIAL_NO_CHASSIS so the UNION will reflect that.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.