Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Activating Rubber duck VBA

I downloaded and installed the Rubberduck VBA debugging software. It said to install it as administrator which I did.

However, when I start MS Access 2016 and bring up my db, the rubberduck while it is still there as an add on, will not work.

Everything is whited out when I click the drop down menu and select a topic and start to make choices in what I want, for instance code inspection.

I think that somehow this software must be activated. I am not sure; I am not sure how. All I know is I drop down the Rubberduckmenu, select a topic and all choices are whited out.

How do I et this puppy to work?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

jwhite is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    No one here is going to have an answer for you - take it up with the creators of the add-in - https://github.com/rubberduck-vba/Rubberduck or http://rubberduckvba.com.

The github page shows 439 open issues and all kinds of caveats in the updated version installation notes. I'd be afraid to try this app on anything but a virtual machine with a database I didn't care about.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    I have removed Rubber Duck software from my computer. It is gone. I am looking for some software to analyze the VBA code. Any others out there?

R,

Lou reed

jwhite is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    You've already looked at several. Between MZTools and Find 'n Replace you should be good! Consider that a utility isn't going to find everything wrong with a database - it only finds what the developers of the utility programmed it to find.

Mat's Mug is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi there, I manage the Rubberduck open-source project, and frankly I find jwhite's assessment rather harsh.

The answer is right here on Stack Overflow - Rubberduck needs to parse the code before it can let you use most of its [rich] features, and then when you make code changes, you need to hit [refresh] to keep its parse trees up-to-date with what's in the VBE. You'll find the [refresh] command on every single toolwindow, as well as on Rubberduck's CommandBar (the parser state button would say "pending"). This discoverability issue has been addressed since then, and the Code Explorer toolwindow now makes it pretty obvious what needs to be done.

Anyway...

The github page shows 439 open issues and all kinds of caveats in the updated version installation notes. I'd be afraid to try this app on anything but a virtual machine with a database I didn't care about.

Since the beginning of the project in late 2014, we've been using GitHub issues as our "todo" items and "feature wish-list". The VAST majority of the open issues are feature requests and enhancement ideas. Looking at the issues list right now, I'm proud to see that 613 are open, and 1,667 are closed, while a mere 150 (counting dupes) are labelled with "bug", with most of them being minor annoyances. Microsoft Access UserVoice currently has 624 "issues".

it only finds what the developers of the utility programmed it to find.

That's right. And the developers of Rubberduck monitor the VBA tag daily on Stack Overflow, and pretty much every single inspection we implemented was written with the thought of "how could we statically analyze OP's code and prevent this question from ever being asked by our users?" - we're counting 234 open issues just for inspection ideas, and so far over 50 have been implemented.

Rubberduck is maintained by Code Review Stack Exchange users, including two Microsoft MVP awardees. It was given the original VB6 source code for the very popular Smart Indenter add-in by Rob Bovey and Stephen Bullen, has been deemed impressive by both MZ-Tools developer Carlos Quintero (who contributed code and knowledge) and vbWatchDog's Wayne Phillips, who has forked the project and is currently actively helping with the teardown/crashing issues, which are being eliminated as I write these lines, and by the way to fix these issues we have to work around a bug in the .NET CLR itself, so excuse us for taking so long to narrow down on these - indeed serious - issues.

I am looking for some software to analyze the VBA code. Any others out there?

There are a few, yes. But none half as thorough as Rubberduck. In fact I've yet to see a VBIDE add-in (open-source or not) half as ambitious as Rubberduck. No other add-in has a view of the code as complete as Rubberduck does. This means other "analysis" tools can only ever find the trivial stuff you can infer from a simple parse tree, assuming they even bother with that. Rubberduck pretty much literally implements the VBA language specifications, as far as parsing and resolving goes - or tries to, and is 99% there.

Dismissing Rubberduck solely on the basis of the release notes caveats and the number of open GitHub issues, strikes me as ignorant of how GitHub, issue tracking, and long-term project management works.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.