wbuff is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question Are my relationships correct?

*I am not asking for anyone to complete this assignment for me, I am just trying to make whether or not I am doing the right thing!*

My professor gave us a vaguely described homework assignment and I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not I was doing this correctly due to my not using MS access for quite a long time.

Here is the description from out professor:

"Submit an Access database for the following business rules.

Each employee may have many dependents and each dependent is associated with one employee.

Each employee is working in one department and each department has many employees.

For each employee, we want to know his name, address, and highest educational degree.

Each employee is of one of the two types: financial analyst or software developer. For financial analyst, we want to know his license number and if he is a CFA.

For each financial analyst, we want to know what finance projects he has done. Each analyst may be in different projects and each project has many analysts.

For software developer, we want to know the skills he has. Each software developer may have many skills (e.g., C#, SQL Server, …) and many developers many have the same skill."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	relationships.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	28418
    I have also attached a screenshot of what I've got so far. I would really appreciate any help, thank you!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Financial Analyst and Software Devloper tables are not correct.

Suggest you have a field in Employee for Type with two choices: Developer or Analysis. Have a field for License and a Yes/No field for the CPA. Yes, these fields will be empty for the developer employees and not strictly normalized structure and your instructor might not like but it's what I would do. "Normalize till it hurts, denormalize till it works".

Also need lookup table of Projects and a lookup table of Skills. Then you need junction table to associate employees with projects and a junction table to associate employee with skills.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

wbuff is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yeah I need to add the Project and Skills tables, I've just been trying to take it one step at a time. I will post an update soon.

wbuff is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Also should my junction tables be connected to the Financial Analyst for projects and the System Developer for skills?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Suggest DO NOT use spaces in object names.

Looking at the requirements:

Each employee may have many dependents and each dependent is associated with one employee.
    This is a 1 to many relationship.

Each employee is working in one department and each department has many employees.
    This is a 1 to many relationship.

Each analyst may be in different projects and each project has many analysts.
    This is a many to many relationship. (Requires a junction table)

Each software developer may have many skills (e.g., C#, SQL Server, …) and many developers many have the same skill."
    This is a many to many relationship. (Requires a junction table)

EDIT: Had (Requires a junction table) in the wrong places. Sorry

EDIT 2: My comments are from the image in Post #1. I did not see post#2 (June's post)

wbuff is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Okay so there is no need for junction tables regarding the analysts and developers?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    My eyes took a vacation......Had (Requires a junction table) in the wrong places. Sorry (it is corrected)

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Sorry I was not clear. With my suggestion the Financial Analyst and System Developer tables you show would not be needed.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.