Roelof Paul is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Post Data from a Database to be broken down into a spreadshee

Hi There,

i do not have much experience with database etc. What i want to do is create a database with different sises cupboards. Once the cupboard/s is selected i need the database to run a macro to create a cutting list of the cupboard/s selected.

I am manually doing the cutting list but to do a full sized kitchen and 3 bedrooms with built in cupboards take an enormous amount of time. I have 90 Houses that are being built and which we need to make cupboards for.

Unfortunately the cupboards are all custom sizes so i need something where the sises can be added and the macro produces the correct list.

This list Should include edgebanding etc.

IE

height = 780
    Depth = 560
    Width = 900

The macro needs to produce something similar:

900 Base Height Width Quantity(dependant on which sides are visible or the amount of shelves) Edgebanding Remarks
    780 560 2 1L1S Sides
    867 544 1 1L Shelf
    867 100 1 1L Cleat
    780 867 1 Solid Back

The variable will change where pot drawers and or drawers are added as well as where we have a grocery cupboard.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample base.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	28411
    The image is a basic example of the cabinet.
    The doors also need to be calculated accordingly, this will be flat panel doors.

776x447 this will thus be the final measurement of the doors.

On the height it is calculated as 780-4
    On the width it is calculated as 900-6/2

The macro also needs to be able to adjust the depth according to the edgebanding used:
    ( PVC Edge - Unchanged)
    ( 1mm edge - Changed) -1mm
    ( 2mm edge - Changed) -2mm Etc.

Where drawers are added then the same principle will apply for the cabinets, the drawer box will thus then be Cabinet width less 91mm for the front and back rails. Whereas the side rails (Depth - front to back will be standard 500mm) . There are instances where this will either be 300;350;400;450;500 This is dependant on the depth of the drawer cupboard. The drawer bottom will then have to be the inside measurement of the drawer box

Wall Units will be more or less the same with the exception of the solid back. Where it is the full heigh of the base cupboard it will be adjusted to fit between the sides and top and bottom.

Carcass thickness is 16mm but we subtract 16.5mm per side or top and bottom. Thus the shelves cleat and bottom will be 900-33mm or what ever the width of the cabinet should be.

Is there some way for me to create a database with all the variables mentioned above.

I basically need to input my cupboard size; type of cupboard IE base900; Drawer900,wall900; edgband thickness, edgeband colour, board colour and if the sides are visible (exposed)

In some instances the back will be 3.4mm thick instead if 16mm. This variable also needs to revert back to adjust the bottom depth; if 3.4mm thick backing is used the the depth will remain 560 or 300 depending on if it is a wall cupboard or 16mm from the back of the cabinet if a 16mm thick board is used..

I will need to be able to add different board and edge options in the database as well as there are about 50 board colours we use as well as veneerd and wood options and 16mm and 22mm MDF boards for doors.

I would appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction in order for me to do this to save time in the long run, to manufacture cupboards for 90 houses is no easy task and time to ensure that production runs smooth is also important. I can afford to sit in an office all day manualy doing cutting list and not attend to the production side as well.

There is software available to purchase but this is in the Mid 30 Thousand up to 95 Thousand for a standard package. research shows that it will take up to 3 months to get it setup and all wood and veneers to be entered into the program and and have it working smoothly.

At the moment I have on Average two Houses a week that are being installed fully, but i need to amp it up as i need to have these houses done by Mid August.

At the current time frame i am looking at middle December.

If someone can give me a basic setup and instruction on how to proceed further then i will do the rest.

Thanks in advance

Roelof

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I am manually doing the cutting list but to do a full sized kitchen and 3 bedrooms with built in cupboards take an enormous amount of time. I have 90 Houses that are being built and which we need to make cupboards for.
    How different are the houses?

You say you are doing the calculations manually. Since you know the calculation required (and we don't), the first thing is to write down how you manually do the calculations for a kitchen - what variables - for everything. Do the same for the bedrooms.

Consider using Excel...
    Have an area to input the data and below (or on another sheet) have the calculations. Have an area for the kitchen cupboards and another area/sheet for the bedrooms.

There could be a workbook that is a template. Then you could use the template to create a workbook for each house.
    Years ago I knew a guy that created custom bookshelves that used Excel to create a materials list. It would tell him how many boards were required of certain dimensions. Very fast....

A dB could be created, but it might take longer and require a lot of VBA code.

Roelof Paul is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    There are 8 types of houses which we need to do, There are some of these types where the tall units and wall units are up to ceiling heigh( ceiling height varies per house) Some are single level and some are double level and some where the tall and wall unts end at 2100 from floor.

using raw data, can you create a formula in excel that will do the calculations you need?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.