MidwestAnalysts is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Two Different MS Access Databases

Hello Friends

I'm struggling to find a source / solution of a major problem I'm stuck into. Kindly advise if you have any suggestion.

I'm assigned with a new task to map a report which is generated from a "Y" MS Access database and to identify all the input and output source. With my limited MS Access knowledge I'm trying to solve this puzzle but kind of stuck.

Scenario: There are 2 different MS Access database (X & Y) which is connected with ODBC. Everyday someone from admin team runs a update on "X" database ( a tab which automatically fetch the latest update from ODBC and update MS Access). Once the admin is done updating the "X" Database they sent a manual mail notification to the "Y" database team that they have updated the "X" database and following to which "Y" team generate a report from "Y" database. Y team only able to generate the latest report from their database when "X" database has been updated. If "X" database has not been updated and still "Y" team try to generate the report for that specific day then they get a blank report. I have checked both "X" & "Y" databases and picked a specific day and gone thru the data to match and it has way few similar agent ID's but way different data.

Question: My question is how these 2 MS Access database are talking to each other? I have checked the syntax and code and couldn't find any reference or connection any where. Since both the databases has different data on any randomly selected day that means the "Y" database is getting some more updates from different source including the "X" daily update. How should I find out what is happening here as colleagues have No idea what is happening. The Database designer is no Longer with the company and there is no Documentation. is there any way to find out what is the connection between these 2 database and how they are pushing and pulling updates?

jwhite is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Perhaps it could be linked tables? Perhaps it could be fully referenced database path within queries that select and append records to Y, or the same within the code? You might could use a tool like MZ Tools (https://www.mztools.com/v8/download_trial.aspx) to search for the X database name within the project.

MidwestAnalysts is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks a ton for your prompt reply jWhite. I just checked with the System Admin and unfortunately they can't provide me the MZtools and I don't have the rights to download any external thing on my machine. You may be right, as I have seen the Daily report append qry and researched it by opening it in the design view as well as in sql view but still couldn't find the "Y" database reference anywhere.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

jwhite is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    I feel your pain... It sounds like you also would not be able to upload the database here for review. Perhaps you could post just the query code? It may come down to telling them if they want it resolved, you need the tools that will allow you to track down the answer.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    How should I find out what is happening here as colleagues have No idea what is happening. The Database designer is no Longer with the company and there is no Documentation.
    Hopefully this isn't critical to the viability of the organization. Seems like between rock and hard place...

Is there any way to find out what is the connection between these 2 database and how they are pushing and pulling updates?
    I just saw jwhite's response, and I agree that if you want help from the forum, you're going to have to give some info/clues/jpgs etc so we can try to understand the reality and try to provide some "best guesses" to find answers.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.