forson96 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Help - trying to self teach but stuck!

Good morning,

I'm pretty sure this is a really simply question, and feel free to scoff and laugh at my expense. However I've been stuck with this problem for a few days now and just need someone to point me in the right direction!

I have created my first database teaching everything to myself, it exists to show me which people have been sponsored to which event by which people. People aren't always sponsored by the same company and I want to be able to see who's sponsoring who and from there try and work out why. My database holds information of customers in one table, companies in another, events in a third and finally it has one table which connects them all with the primary keys of each linking which customer has been to which event with which company.

I have tried to create a select query, and using that query create a form. The form shows me the customers names and then in a subform shows me which events they've been to and which company sponsored them. I can't edit the subform to update the tables however. In a perfect world I could edit the form so that if a customer was sponsored by an existing company, it would link to that, or if a customer was sponsored by a new company, it would create new data in the companies table. I think I need to use an append query but unsure.

I thank you in advance for any guidance!

Cheers,

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    the normal rule is one form, one table. So create forms for each table and use subforms - the linkchild and linkmaster properties of the subform control provide the joins you would have in your query

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    if the subform is a query, it should be a simple ,single table query.
    any more and the property may inhibit data entry.

if it is a single table, then the property of the key fields may inhibit entry too.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.