rbrtdavila is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Invnetory Management

Hello,
    I am new to MS Access. I would like to know is it possible to do the following?

I have an inventory list of items with barcodes using Code 3 of 9 font. I imported that into Access. So.. is it possible to do this: As soon as I scan a bar code on an equipment, it will look through the database to see whether it exist or not? If it does not exist it will tell you, or better yet, to have an option to mark the item if it's there.

Is there any tutorial on this sort of inventory management? I tried searching, but I did not get any result that met my needs. Please advice, thanks in advance.

P.S. Once again, I am new to MS Access and would love programming pointers about inventory database management.

Thank you again.

Robert

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    If you can't find a template that will work for you then let the Form Wizard create a form for you from your table. Next add a ComboBox to the form and let the cbo wizard create it for you and select 3 from the 1st set of choices.

HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Robert,

Think of scanning the bar code as just keyboard input. That is how Access sees it.

You set up the Access database to have the ability to look up by the data that is stored in the bar code.

If you use a combo box, there is a "Not in List" event that may do what you need.

To use a scanner as keyboard input:
    With the cursor in the combo box control, use a scanner to scan the barcode. The scanner will "type in" the data in the data bar code for you into the combo box. Access sees it the same as if you manually types it in on the keyboard.

Thank you, Boyd. I will read up on your recommendation.

Thank you. I created a form that doubles as an input for new items coming in. I need to find out how I can use the database to conduct transactions with the inventory, i.e. check out and returns, inventory matching for comparison to existing or non-existing items in the dbase, ... using a scanner I am purchasing - something like what a regular inventory management software is capable of doing if it is doable.

HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrtdavila View Post
    Thank you. I created a form that doubles as an input for new items coming in. I need to find out how I can use the database to conduct transactions with the inventory, i.e. check out and returns, inventory matching for comparison to existing or non-existing items in the dbase, ... using a scanner I am purchasing - something like what a regular inventory management software is capable of doing if it is doable.
    Scanning bar codes really does not have any impact on the application. If the application is design for data entry then it is easy to substitute data entry with a input from a bar code scanner.

I have scanned bar codes into many applications. Even Notepad, Word, Excel, and web pages (all browsers).

TIP: When I set up a scanner on a PC I initially use Notepad to test it.

The key to successful scanning is:

1) a good quality bar code scanner. Avoid the cheap ones and all the misery they will cause.
    2) A bar code scanner that you can program to send ("press") the enter key at the end of the scan. Helps when you need speed.
    3) Readable bar codes. That usually means getting good software to print the bar code if the items do not already have one you can use. There are tools you can buy to work with Access to print bar codes.

I have been experimenting with a few bar code scanners for around $50 USD for light scanning for use in a "clean" office environment. The lower priced bar code scanners are not rugged enough to handle the harsher environment of a warehouse or high volume scanning.

The hardest part of using bar codes really is generating (Encoding) and printing bar codes not the scanning them. What makes Windows Accounting/Inventory control software have "bar code" capabilities is they have the ability to generate (encode) and print bar codes. Not accept input from a bar code scanner because all windows software can do that.

Thanks, Boyd.

trevor40 is offline Advanced db Manager
    I have created many barcode reports in access, all you have to do is set the font of the text box to your barcode font and the in the text box add a ' * ' to the start and end of the data in the text box so a barcode scanner can read it. I.E. *12345* ... barcode_output = "*" & text1 & "*"

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.