XP_2600 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2016

Exporting to word

Hello all,

Another issue annoy me so much, user want to get the report exported on word format, all available format for word is RTF, the problem is the header logo, report contains a header logo and exporting as rtf miss it, the pdf export fine with the logo, any ideas ? thanks.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Will require code to insert the logo image into the Word document. http://excel-macro.tutorialhorizon.c...word-document/
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

XP_2600 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2016
    The easier method seems is exporting as XPS which available in Access 2016, anybody know a vb code to convert then from xps to docx ?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Why not just use the PDF in Word?

See:

Edit PDF content in Word

ohmydatabase is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016
    To export the data as a word document (.docx) I recommend doing this in VBA. Using the same queries that you used to populate you report, you can use to define a recordset that you can systematically type to MS Word. You have two options for controlling MS Word from VBA. First you can turn your References for MS Word on. You do this from the VBA IDE > Tools > References > Microsoft Word Object Library. (or something along those lines) The second option you have is to create a word object manually. The difference between the two is that the latter will have automatically use the IntelliSense feature built-in tot the VBA IDE. You will have to manually type all methods and classes with no guidance from the IDE. The second method is crucial if you are sharing this database file with users that do not have the same version of MS Office. If they have different versions of MS Office, the code will possibly not work on their machine. I prefer this second option. To get started you need the following commands:

Dim wordApp As Object
    Dim wordDoc As Object

Set wordApp = CreateObject("Word.Application")
    Set wordDoc = CreateObject("Word.Document")

wordApp.Document.Add
    wordApp.Visible = True

wordApp.Selection.TypeText :="Insert Text Here"

@ohmydatabase,

Did you know that Word 2013/2016 will convert a report saved as a PDF to a editable Word Doc? Including any images!

This allows you to use all the power of an Access report and send it to Word via a PDF. You can use Word automation to open the PDF in Word.

ohmydatabase is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016
    @HiTechCoach

Dang, that's awesome. I'm still new to Access so I'm still picking up these quirks. I haven't ever made a report yet, in fact I just made a post asking for help on them in another thread.

From what I can gather from my limited exposure to Access Reports is that they are very capable of displaying large amounts of "repetitive" information. Since I was more familiar with MS Word, the blank "canvas" seemed to offer more freedom in terms of editing, spacing, and using 'fancy' styling. Maybe I just need to spend more time using reports.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmydatabase View Post
    @HiTechCoach

Dang, that's awesome. I'm still new to Access so I'm still picking up these quirks. I haven't ever made a report yet, in fact I just made a post asking for help on them in another thread.

From what I can gather from my limited exposure to Access Reports is that they are very capable of displaying large amounts of "repetitive" information. Since I was more familiar with MS Word, the blank "canvas" seemed to offer more freedom in terms of editing, spacing, and using 'fancy' styling. Maybe I just need to spend more time using reports.

Making the paradigm shift to thinking in terms af a database is a huge leap.

You are correct about Report Writers for databases, including Access Reports. The are design for print multiple records. Great for transaction data, like an invoice. Thisk of Acesdsd re0port as a very poerful mail merge that can print multiple recd ont eh same page. Not something easily done with a Word Processor's Merge which print one record per document.

The key to building an Application with Microsoft Office is to use all the Applications in the suite together. By design they are made to work together. Each application has something it does better than the others.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.