Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

IMHO, queries before forms. If you cannot enter, update or delete data through a query, don't expect to be able to do so from a form based on such a query. It may be an indication that something is not right with your tables or relationships. IIRC, a Totals, Crosstab or Union query is not updatable, and either those or the lack of joining tables may leave you with the discovery that you've built a form with the intention of creating the record source afterwards and can't use it as planned.

pbaldy is online now Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I'm more likely to create forms first, but my forms are rarely based on more than one table, so testing first with a query wouldn't gain me anything. I also typically bind forms directly to tables rather than queries. That said, those forms are rarely opened on the whole table; they're either opened in data entry mode or with a wherecondition that restricts the records returned to one or a few. I know there's a school of thought that says "always bind forms to queries", but I never liked school anyway.

I create forms to enter/edit data, testing as I go. I create queries as needed for specific tasks, reports, whatever. So for me in general, tables first, then forms, then reports; queries and code as needed.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I venture to say that your way is less common, but then I didn't like school much either, so what do I know?
    Sure, I have based forms on tables, but certainly it has not been my way exclusively. I suspect there more than a few db's out there that cannot function without forms based on queries. It's kind of a result of normalization, and I know I've created a few. I'd say they're the majority, but that's only because my wife says I like to be right...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.