Jigreel409 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2002

Question Report field is dividing into two sections alphabetized.

I am rather new at using Access. I have 3 tables, “StudentT”, “UniversityT”, and a junction table “Student_UniversityT” to show what universities each student has applied to. Also, in this junction table I have a field to show what university a given student has accepted as the university they will attend. This field is called “Decision.” At present, out of about 10 fields in the “StudentT” table, I have records only filled in for the “StudentName” and “Counselor”. We have 2 counselors. About half of the students are with counselor 1 and the rest are with counselor 2. I am trying to run a report, based on the junction table, to show 3 fields - “Student Names”, “UniversityNames”, and “Decision.” I wish for the student names field in the report to be alphabetized. All works well; but, for some reason, the student names show up alphabetized first for counselor 1 and the last half of the report alphabetized for counselor 2. I want the field to show all students alphabetized, not separated into two sections. I have used no grouping and sorting, other than when creating the report to alphabetize “StudentNames” ascending. When the report is run, the student name field in the report returns student ID numbers and not the student names. I then went into Design View, and used a “combo box”, to fetch the student names, which seems to work; but, same problem appears. It seems that the counselor field in the “StudentT” table has full control of my report, splitting the student names up into two sections. What is going on and what am I doing wrong? I'm using Windows 10 with Access 2013. Thank you.

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    In a report you want to do the sorting and grouping there, not in the query. Right click in the report design and go to Sorting and Grouping. If nothing is in there, add a sort or group as you need. If entries are already there, see what you need to delete or change.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.