baranisankar is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

MS Access - Getting Unknown error message when running query with huge data records

Hi,
    I am getting Unknown error message when running query with huge data records in MS Access 2007, can I have a solution for this?

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards,
    Sankar

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    not much to go on. best I can suggest:

db is corrupted
    you are using improper field names (includes non alphanumeric characters or is a reserved word)
    your query is an append or make table query and you are exceeding the db size limit of 2Gb
    you have invalid data in your source fields (e.g. unhandled nulls, includes 'non date' text in a date field, perhaps " or ' in a text field, etc)

baranisankar is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    thanks for the suggestion, i don't have any problem with what your have mentioned, later i came to know that one of my database column value has more than 2000+ character and it has been declared as "Text" hence my query is not running. After i changed the variable as "memo", I can run the query. Unknown error is fixed now.

And I have another question, can you help me on that, I have imported 700,000 records using link option, and i can't change the Data Type each column, and it has been set automatically, so is there any way to change the Data Type, I tried changing the Data Type manually but it throwing a message "Microsoft Office Access can't save property changes for linked tables" and I cant save.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I think you would need to physically import the records in order to be able to change the Data Types.
    I don't think you can do that for linked Tables.

What kind of file is this linked table? Is it something where you can change the Data Type in the Source (i.e. if it is from another database)?

A lot of times when Access is looking to determine to automatically set the field type on fields, it looks at something like the first 10 records. So, if you can get some data in the first 10 records that would force it from one data-type to another, that might work (i.e. make sure one of your first ten entries has an entry of over 2000 characters, if you want to force it to be a Memo instead of Text).

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    or rather than importing to a new table. Have an empty table structured as you require

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.