plackowski is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Question Auto-populating field with comma separated list based on conditional in another table

Hypothetical scenario: You have an employee table and an accounts table. Each employee can be working on multiple accounts. How would I go about creating a field in the employee table that lists the accounts they have been assigned to?

Account: Name AssignedEmployee
    A Jim
    B Dwight
    C Jim

Employee: Name AccountsAssigned
    Dwight B
    Jim A,C
    Andy -

[Edit]: Also, realistically this doesn't have to be a field, it would just need to appear in this format in a final report.
    Last edited by plackowski; 02-23-2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Formatting table

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    look at the concatrelated function to use in your form recordsource

http://allenbrowne.com/func-concat.html

I added the function, but I'm still not sure how to put that data into a field or a report. I don't have a form set up yet, but even if I did, I would have the form set up in a 'per employee' format. That way there would be room to expand on each of the accounts they are working on with a sub-report.

So I've worked out how to edit the combo box control source in my report, but I'm also not clear on the formatting for the third argument in the ConcatRelated function.

I think the entire entry for the recordsource should look like this:

=ConcatRelated("AssignedEmployee", "Account", "Name = " & [Name], "[Name]")

But when I run the report I get asked to enter parameter values for 'ConcatRelated' and 'Name'.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Name is a reserved word and should not be used as a field name.

you need to look at the parameters you are using. I would have thought it should be

=ConcatRelated("[Name]", "Account", "AssignedEmployee = " & [Name])

You said this was hypothetical, but seems to be the real situation. So I think you are getting ahead of yourself. Before designing a form, you need to make sure the tables work together as you require.

You need to understand how tables work, learn about primary keys and family/foreign keys. Learn about relationships. Get the tables working as you require, then you can build your forms.

I strongly recommend you try a few of the lessons online to get a better understanding

Ok, fair point, that's a bad example. I'm trying to adapt my question to make it more accessible to everyone on the forum, but I think I'm just confusing myself. Here's my actual intended use. I have a list of cables and a list of conduits. These electrical cables get fed through a series of PVC conduits. Each conduit has a physical location where it starts and stops, be it an electrical panel or a manhole. However, one cable may go through multiple manholes, so I've created a CableRoute table to track the route of each cable through the conduits. Right now I'm trying to get a list of all the cables in each conduit, using the information in this third table.

Conduit CondName* CondFrom CondTo CondContents (what I'm trying to automatically generate in a report)
    C001 Panel 1 MH 3 435, 436
    C002 MH 3 MH 5 436
    C003 MH 5 Panel 2 436
    CondName is the primary key for the Conduit table

Cable CableNum* CablePurpose CableSize CableGroundSize CablePath (another thing I'm trying to automatically generate, not really part of this question though)
    435 Control (2) #12 w/gnd C001
    436 Power (2) 250kcmil 4/0 gnd C001, MH3, C002, MH5, C003
    CableNum is the primary key for the Cable table

CableRoute CableNumF* Segment* CondNameF
    435 1 C001
    436 1 C001
    436 2 C002
    436 3 C003
    CableNumF and Segment form a 2-field primary key for the CableRoute table
    CableNumF and CondNameF are foreign keys (1 to many relationships with the first two tables)

I've then attempted to generate a report with the following Record Source:

SELECT CondName, CondFrom, CondTo, ConcatRelated("CableNumF","CableRoute","CondNameF = " & [CondName]) FROM Conduit;

My earlier issue with parameter values was caused by VBA security permissions, but after resolving that, I now get a generic "Error 3061: Too few parameters. Expected 1." error. I'm sure it has to do with my third parameter, since using ConcatRelated("CableNumF","CableRoute") compiles (it just gives me 435, 436, 436, 436 for every conduit though).

I need to read more carefully next time. From http://allenbrowne.com/func-concat.html:

If the foreign key field is Text (not Number), include quote marks as delimiters, e.g.:
    "[ForeignKeyFieldName] = """ & [PrimaryKeyFieldName] & """"
    So the corrected Record Source is the following:

SELECT CondName, CondFrom, CondTo, ConcatRelated("CableNumF","CableRoute","[CondNameF] = """ & [CondName] & """") FROM Conduit;

Thanks for the assistance Ajax!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.