Mithril28 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Parameter request for report not coming from query used by report

I have a report written by someone else. It calls a query that requests two parameters. When I run a report a 3rd parameter request pops up, however, the value of which is needed for the report to generate correctly. But I can't find where that 3rd parameter is being called from! All I can see is the field that contains the information once the report is run. What am I missing?

I'm sure whoever looks at this will need a lot of information, but all I can think of to give is the version I am using:
    Microsoft® Access® 2013 [15.0.4893.1000] MSO [15.0.4903.1000) 32-bit

Please let me know what other information you need. Thanks!

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I think we need to see the data base or the relevant code to offer any advice.

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Does this query reference another query? That might be where it is coming from.

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Usually it is either a field in the query of the report that that is missing(look for a column that has Expr: maybe). Run the query directly(not the report) and see if you still get issue. If so issue is in one of those query fields. Make sure all of them are actual fields in the query tables and if any columns are calculations, make sure the fields they use are valid.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    If so issue is in one of those query fields.
    or the query or any sub query actually has defined parameters. Right-click on the background area where the tables are displayed in the query/queries and choose Parameters... from the context menu that results, or check the sql of the query/queries for the key word "Parameter". I agree with the other suggestions (running sql by itself instead of opening a report or form is often helpful). Something that's in square brackets but shouldn't be can also be interpreted as a parameter. Last suggestion I would have is a reference is mis-spelled, but these are iffy. If you had created the query or report, I'd say you already had these covered.
    Last edited by Micron; 02-22-2017 at 04:40 PM. Reason: spelin
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

I should have phrased it differently. I know that the query only calls two parameters because I did run it separately, and it only requires two parameters.

The title of the third parameter is "Enter the Total # of Policies for the Month", and there is a field in the report where the control source is =[Enter the Total # of Policies for the Month], and it is used by another field for calculations.

I did a right-click on the background area where the tables are displayed in the query/queries and chose Parameters, a window came up title 'Query Parameters' and it was blank.

I am getting the Report query by going into Report properties and looking at the record source. If there is a second query being used by the report where would it be?

Thank you for all the posts!!

Bulzie is offline VIP
    The title of the third parameter is "Enter the Total # of Policies for the Month", and there is a field in the report where the control source is =[Enter the Total # of Policies for the Month], and it is used by another field for calculations.
    So sounds like that is your issue? Whoever wrote the report is requiring you to enter this value manually when you run the report it seems. Since it is used by another field sounds like you need to enter that value. Now if you can calculate the Total # of Polilcies for the month, then you can have that other field use that and not have to manually enter anything.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Mithril28,

Since you were not the developer (or designer) of this database, you can see the importance of "related documentation" for an operational system. Is there any documentation/instructions associated with this application?

If not, and you are tasked to maintain it, then I suggest you also get agreement from management to create such material. You can take a copy of the database and "experiment" to determine the core logic and parameters etc. You shouldn't have to "fly blind" with an operational system/database.

By experiment, I mean open some code, put in some debug.print statements to print out function name or numbers to get a "listing" of what happens in what order. You could create a User/Operator manual of how to "run" the system.

Good luck.

Oh my gosh!!!!!!! I deleted the fields involved and it got rid of the parameter request!!! I had no idea you could require a user to to enter value manually! I need the number, so I will leave it, but I needed to update what the user was entering and didn't realize it was that simple!! Thank you so much!!

There is no documentation whatsoever, but I will do as you suggest and create it, even though no one but me will use it. I would also love to know what happens and in what order! If I get permission I will certainly do so! Thank you!

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Something for you to practice on also. Instead of asking user to enter the number of policies for the month, you could possibly get that value in code using DCount function maybe unless there is a reason to need it to be manual input. Here is one webpage with info on it but there are many others:

https://www.techonthenet.com/access/...ain/dcount.php

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Unless I missed it, the name of the control is not revealed anywhere in this thread. I'd guess it was mis-spelled or referred to a record field that was no longer part of the original query. Or the prompt was initiated by a control that used this field in a calculation, but the field and control have the same name so Access could not determine which one to use.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.