LeisaW is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Forms overwriting forms

When I design a new report with subreports using same tables it will overwrite all other reports using the same subtables even with a new name for report and subreports in design wizard. What am I doing wrong? It will save the new forms and subreports but changes other forms and subreports to the same fields as entered in new form. Keeps all the form names but changes data in them to the new form data.

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Can you get more specific on what you changed on which table, form or report, etc. and what is getting overwritten? You keep saying forms and reports, those are 2 different things.

You have a table with data, you create a form to add/edit data in that table. You create a report to display the data in that table. If you change the data structure of the table, you might need to change something on the form or report. If records change in the table, it may display differently on different reports.

LeisaW is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Sorry for the confusion. You are absolutely correct about the functions of tables, forms and reports. I am creating new forms to enter data into 3 tables. I use the form wizard. I am creating forms that use the same fields from 2 tables and each form will use different data from the last table. Every time I go to create a new form and save it (changing the names of the report and subreports) Access "writes over" the fields in the other forms using the same tables but does not change the name of the older form(s)- just the fields contained within the forms. Table data structure is not changed, just add the fields using form wizard to the new form. I have tblCustomers, tblAccounts, and tblRetdChecks. I am creating forms to Post a returned check, another form to Post Payments, another form to Send to DA, another form to Send to Police, another form to Post Straight Write Offs, and lastly a form to edit Notice Information.

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Every time I go to create a new form and save it (changing the names of the report and subreports) Access "writes over" the fields in the other forms using the same tables but does not change the name of the older form(s)- just the fields contained within the forms.
    Still don't understand. So you have a form that links to a table. You have a 2nd form that links to that same table? Then if someone types something in 2nd form, it overwrites the value when you open the first form? If so that is what should happen if you have 2 forms referencing the same table/fields.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Yeah, somewhat confusing with the interspersed references to reports when I think I'm supposed to be reading about new forms & vice-versa. First, are you sure you need all these objects, whatever they are? You shouldn't create additional forms or reports if they only have minor differences in design; you should alter the characteristics of one report or form when it is opened. It sounds like they're not very different. If that's beyond your capabilities now, you should definitely make an effort to get there or take the time to learn it now.

Based on what you wrote, I'm going to guess that you have Name Auto Correct turned on, and the wizard is causing name updates to things you've already created because they're too similar. Many experienced developers don't use NAC. See http://allenbrowne.com/bug-03.html
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.