Karaline is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Unhappy no idea what to do now. I have the data stored retrieving it is confusing

hi, i have the data stored to tables and have created the tables as per suggestions and input from access users.

i don't know how to retrieve this information in ways that will satisfy the end user.

the dockets/receipts i have entered using forms and stored in main docket and docket details now needs to be retrieved and marked accrued once it has been connected to an end of month budget and then marked invoiced once it has been paid against an invoice. Then it needs to not show up in future searches unless we are looking for paid or accrued dockets.

the problem i am having is making the end user look suit what is needed. 50 companies 30 different formats. some companies don't use addon's others don't use vehicle hours. some are material some are labour.

Do I do an query for each individual company? to make sure that the data that is being brought forward is only showing what is required for that company?

i am lost

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    we had this problem too. Your records need to have fields:
    Invoiced (long, to match the invoiceID)
    Accrued (not sure what this does)

your queries will ignore them if InvoiceID is paid, and/or accrued

Also, if you have 50 companies, then either:
    force them all to do the same method (yeah right)
    or
    you must make 50 different methods, 1 for each company. (we did 50 different databases because they ALL wanted different things)
    as well as reports, queries, etc.

Karaline is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    that depressing. I don't see a reason to do multiple databases. one should suffice. We do not produce invoices. we merely need to check the dockets against a monthly payment claim, edit any incorrect ones and tick that they have been attached to our financial end of month costing and I created an external excel database workbook with automatic updating pivot tables for each company to allow the person who needs to see daily direct costings to do so.

I have done all of the easy bits..lol I love excel can do anything with it, but trying to think like an access user has been a hard road. I have created a supplier entry and edit form. it has resource, attachment, miscellaneous and addon subforms to edit in one place. As only 5 people have rights to this area everyone was happy making one small dashboard for the supplier updating forms.

The whole idea of the database was to stop entering into multiple worksheets. using one form for 20 companies is so much easier. it is just working out how to retrieve that data i need to find a solution to.

I agree, i may have to work on the most complex retrieval query forms i need and then copy and reduce the calculations as required. I have attached an excel showing what each company requires to be shown at the end of month claim period for subcontrators.
    Attached Files Attached Files

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    if ENTERING data works for you for all the companies, then continue.
    its the different outputs you will have to manage.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.