Thomasso is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Changing multiple form aspects based on a button clicked

Hello,

I have an Orders Table. There can be a Supplier or a Customer Order. I have quite similar needs for tracking those so I would like to have one set of forms and set several properties (depending on which button is clicked - Supplier orders, Customer orders).

These are the things I need to change:
    - Record source is the orders overview form
    - Some text labels
    - Button captions
    - Default values in some forms
    - Row source of some combo boxes

All of this would be done on click event (supplier order and customer order buttons) in VBA.

I tried to implement this and I have run into this problem:

RUNTIME 2465 (Application-defined or object-defined error. (it has to do something with changing the rowsource of a combobox.

Here is the code I have:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kod1.PNG 
Views:	23 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	27561

Unfortunately I am not able to upload my database to this forum, I tried it a dozen times with an error popping every time.

Am I approaching this correctly? What does the error mean?

Thanks everybody!
    Tomas

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Maybe do the rowsource as a query instead of the "Select..." to make sure it works. then just do the Rowsource = "qryxxx" Do both combo boxes use same number of fields?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    If you want to upload, you should compact/repair your db but you pretty much MUST zip it. Whether a problem like that or one related to your actual db, more information on errors or failed trials helps us to help you by minimizing the guessing. The error usually means there is something wrong with how you're referencing an application level object or property, or an object - often due to spelling.

You are approaching this the right way IMO (using a form for multiple purposes). Don't know what drives the opening of your form, but you might want to consider using the OpenArgs property of DoCmd.OpenForm to pass the 'mode' to the form Open event as long as you're not trying to manipulate data in this event (for that, you'd use the Load event).
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Could you give me an example how that might work? What king of query?

Yes, this combobox is a list of companies, and I either need to show all the suppliers or all the customers. There are 2 columns, CompanyName and CompanyType (which is the bound one and is Integer - 1 for supplier, 2 for customer)

Tomas

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    rather than providing an image of the code, copy and paste the code into the post and use the code tags (#). At the moment it is not possible to read your code unless you go to a separate page which means it is not visible when trying to respond.

To upload your db, remove all tables/forms etc not relevant to your question, then 1. compact the db. Then 2. zip it and 3. upload the zipped file by going to the advanced editor (click 'go advanced' button below)

with regards the error, it sounds like you are trying to reference an object that doesn't exist

Windows 10 Access 2016
    If you want to upload, you should compact/repair your db but you pretty much MUST zip it.
    I did zip it, still wouldn't upload. Probably a forum issue.

Don't know what drives the opening of your form, but you might want to consider using the OpenArgs property of DoCmd.OpenForm to pass the 'mode' to the form Open event as long as you're not trying to manipulate data in this event (for that, you'd use the Load event).
    An user clicks a button in the main menu, that drives the opening. He can click "SUPPLIER ORDERS" or "CUSTOMER ORDERS". Multiple forms need to be edited (overview, data entry).

What is the difference between Open and Load event?

Never heard of OpenArgs, I am quite new to Access. Would it eliminate the error?

Tomas

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    To upload your db, remove all tables/forms etc not relevant to your question, then 1. compact the db. Then 2. zip it and 3. upload the zipped file by going to the advanced editor (click 'go advanced' button below) with regards the error, it sounds like you are trying to reference an object that doesn't exist
    I did all that, still doesn't work. Must be a problem in this forum.

Here is the code:
    Code:
    Private Sub Příkaz6_Click()
        DoCmd.Close acForm, "frmHlavniMenu", acSavePrompt
        DoCmd.OpenForm "frmObjednavkyPrehled"

Forms!frmObjednavkyPrehled.RecordSource = "qryObjednavkyZak"
        Forms!frmObjednavkyPrehled.txtNadpis.Caption = "PŘEHLED OBJEDNÁVEK"
        Forms!frmObjednavkyPrehled.cmdNew.Caption = "Nová objednávka"

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmDEObjednavky"
        Forms!frmDEObjednavky.cboFirma.RowSource = "SELECT tblFirmy.NazevFirmy FROM tblFirmy WHERE tblFirmy.FKTypFirmyID = 2 ORDER BY tblFirmy.NazevFirmy;"
        DoCmd.Close acForm, "frmDEObjednavky", acSaveYes
    End Sub
    it sounds like you are trying to reference an object that doesn't exist
    Very unlikely, I have triple checked the names.

Tomas

CJ_London is offline VIP
    There are 2 columns, CompanyName and CompanyType
    Assuming your table structure is based on what we went through a few weeks ago, this should be three columns. You need to include a companyID which your combo bound column will be set to. Also you shouldn't need to include the companytype column in your query return, you just need to use it for your criteria, everything else should be working off the companyID.

Micron's suggestion is also a good one

@Micron
    You are approaching this the right way IMO (using a form for multiple purposes)
    Glad you agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasso View Post
    I did zip it, still wouldn't upload. Probably a forum issue.
    2. What is the difference between Open and Load event?
    3. Never heard of OpenArgs, I am quite new to Access. Would it eliminate the error?
    Tomas
    2 - Simply put, you can manipulate form properties on Open, but not data related to the source because Load comes after, which is when the records get loaded. Google ms access form events to get the whole picture as there are several, all occurring in a specific order from start to finish.
    3 - No, it won't. It was intended to suggest how to tell the form "set up for customer order" versus "set up for vendor order". In the form Open event, one of the first things you'd do is determine what I call the form opening mode:

Code:
    If Me.OpenArgs = "vendor" Then
      do vendor stuff...
    Else
      do customer stuff
    End If

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Okay, I slept on it and guess what, guys... I forgot to rename the actual combo box to cboFirma. Oh my god, 3 days of rage and for this? Anyway, thanks for every advice you gave me.

Tomas

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have one more question. How do I change event action through VBA? Let me elaborate...

When someone clicks "CUSTOMER ORDERS", the form will open with an overview of all customer's orders (continuous form). There is a button next to each record to open order details. How do I set that button's click event when I click the "CUSTOMER ORDERS" button?

EDIT:
    RowSource is acting weird, see code below:

Code:

Forms!frmDEObjednavky.cboFirma.RowSource = "SELECT tblFirmy.NazevFirmy, tblFirmy.PKFirmaID FROM tblFirmy WHERE tblFirmy.FKTypFirmyID = 2 ORDER BY tblFirmy.NazevFirmy;"

MsgBox Forms!frmDEObjednavky.cboFirma.RowSource

The first MsgBox shows correct RowSource (the SQL statement), the second MsgBox is empty (as well as the actual row source, why?

Thanks again,
    Tomas

CJ_London is offline VIP
    it's because you have closed the form

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ah, is there any way that I can save this permanently?

That form is for entering data and is only opened when needed, not right away. I only opened it so I could set the parameters, then I immediately close it.

It works like this:
    - after user click on button "CUSTOMER ORDERS", the orders overview form appears.
    - there's a button "NEW ORDER", when that is pressed, I need it to have that rowsource

- when user clicks "SUPPLIER ORDERS" and then presses "NEW ORDER", I need the row source to be modified.

How do I approach this?

Tomas

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Just wanted to point out a couple of things.....

Code:
    The acSaveYes doesn't do what you think it does.
    You change the combo box row source in code, but the change is not saved when you close the form.
    The acSaveYes is for saving changes to the DESIGN of the form. If you use code to open the form in design mode, make changes to the form, THEN the acSaveYes WILL save the changes to the FORM.
    If you changed the combo box row source (using code) WHILE IN DESIGN MODE and used acSaveYes, the change to the combo box would be saved.

There is a button next to each record to open order details.
    You DO realize there is only 1 button, irregardless if there is one record or one hundred records?
    Look at the form in design view. How many buttons are there? Only one.
    So you cannot hard code the FK value in the WHERE clause (" WHERE tblFirmy.FKTypFirmyID = 2"), because the FK value will ALWAYS be 2 - for every Customer. (but maybe there is other code that is not shown to create the row source query).

If you look closely at my last sentence in post 3 you're going to hate yourself even more!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.