hkh is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Data from two fields in the same table using different criteria

Hello,

i am new to access.

i have linked the access to a database (sql 2008) and i am trying to extract data from sql to be shown in access 2010.

i have two tables in SQL : MOVEMENT HEADERS and MOVEMENT DETAILS.

The movement details contains the fields : REQUESTED , APPROVED, and RETURNS.

The REQUESTED and the APPROVED both have a movevment type = 4 in the MOVEMENT HEADER.

I can use a query to extract the data easily using the criteria MOVEMENT TYP=4.

but the RETURNS have the criteria MOVEMENT TYPE =3.

When i try to add the RETURNS filed to the query and using a criteria MOVEMENT TYPE=3 under it, the result is empty page.

the sql statement of the query containing the REQUESTED and APPROVED (having the same movement type ...working fine)

SELECT dbo_Users.User_Code, dbo_Users.User_Description, dbo_Movement_Details.Item_Code, dbo_Movement_Details.Item_Description, dbo_Movement_Headers.Stamp_Date, dbo_Movement_Details.Quantity_SU AS Requested, dbo_Movement_Details.Quantity_Level3 AS Approved, IIf([dbo_Movement_Details].[Approve_User_Code]=102,"Approved","Not Approved") AS [Approved/Not Approved], dbo_Movement_Headers.Movement_Type
    FROM dbo_Users INNER JOIN (dbo_Movement_Details INNER JOIN dbo_Movement_Headers ON dbo_Movement_Details.Movement_Code = dbo_Movement_Headers.Movement_Code) ON dbo_Users.User_Code = dbo_Movement_Headers.User_Code
    WHERE (((dbo_Movement_Headers.Movement_Type)=4) AND ((DatePart("ww",[dbo_Movement_Details].[Stamp_Date]))=DatePart("ww",Date())) AND ((Year([dbo_Movement_Details].[Stamp_Date]))=Year(Date())));

the sql statement of the query when i try to add the RETURNS filed with diffirent criteria (movement type=3...no data is shown)

SELECT dbo_Users.User_Code, dbo_Users.User_Description, dbo_Movement_Details.Item_Code, dbo_Movement_Details.Item_Description, dbo_Movement_Headers.Stamp_Date, dbo_Movement_Details.Quantity_Level3 AS Returns, dbo_Movement_Details.Quantity_SU AS Requested, dbo_Movement_Details.Quantity_Level3 AS Approved, IIf([dbo_Movement_Details].[Approve_User_Code]=102,"Approved","Not Approved") AS [Approved/Not Approved]
    FROM dbo_Users INNER JOIN (dbo_Movement_Details INNER JOIN dbo_Movement_Headers ON dbo_Movement_Details.Movement_Code = dbo_Movement_Headers.Movement_Code) ON dbo_Users.User_Code = dbo_Movement_Headers.User_Code
    WHERE (([dbo_Movement_Headers].[Movement_Type]=3) AND ([dbo_Movement_Headers].[Movement_Type]=4) AND ([dbo_Movement_Headers].[Movement_Type]=4) AND ((DatePart("ww",[dbo_Movement_Details].[Stamp_Date]))=DatePart("ww",Date())) AND ((Year([dbo_Movement_Details].[Stamp_Date]))=Year(Date())));
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rquested and approved..png   returns, requested, approved.png  

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I looked at part of the WHERE clause that deals with movement type.
    Does this make sense:
    Code:
    ([dbo_Movement_Headers].[Movement_Type]=3) AND 
    ([dbo_Movement_Headers].[Movement_Type]=4) AND 
    ([dbo_Movement_Headers].[Movement_Type]=4)
    Can the value of [Movement_Type] be 3 AND 4 at the same time? No - so no records are returned
    (also note that you have TWO "[Movement_Type]=4" in the criteria - totally unnecessary! )

That is like saying that Bob's (poor Bob) age is 20 AND 22. But you can say his age is 20 OR 22.

So you need an "OR" in the WHERE clause.
    Something like:
    Code:
    WHERE ([dbo_Movement_Headers].[Movement_Type]=3 OR [dbo_Movement_Headers].[Movement_Type]=4) AND DatePart("ww",[dbo_Movement_Details].[Stamp_Date]) = DatePart("ww",Date()) AND Year([dbo_Movement_Details].[Stamp_Date]) = Year(Date());

hkh is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    thank you for your time.

i tried the OR before, but iwill return only the Data with movement_type=3....thus only the returns......and then i will not get the requested and approved fileds.

the problem is that the three fileds (requested, approved , and returns) are in the same table,and same filed name, but with different movement type.

in othet words, filed named "quantity" contains the returns if the movement type is 3 and it contains requested if the movement type is 4.

i hope i made my self clear.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	27543

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Yes, I understand. BUT, you cannot have criteria of
    Code:
    [dbo_Movement_Headers].[Movement_Type]=3) AND ([dbo_Movement_Headers].[Movement_Type]=4
    and expect to get records returned!!
    The field [Movement_Type] cannot contain a 3 and a 4 at the same time.

i tried the OR before,
    OK, but did you try this query???????
    Code:
    SELECT dbo_Users.User_Code, dbo_Users.User_Description, dbo_Movement_Details.Item_Code, dbo_Movement_Details.Item_Description, dbo_Movement_Headers.Stamp_Date, dbo_Movement_Details.Quantity_Level3 AS Returns, dbo_Movement_Details.Quantity_SU AS Requested, dbo_Movement_Details.Quantity_Level3 AS Approved, IIf([dbo_Movement_Details].[Approve_User_Code]=102,"Approved","Not Approved") AS [Approved/Not Approved]
    WHERE ([dbo_Movement_Headers].[Movement_Type]=3 OR [dbo_Movement_Headers].[Movement_Type]=4) AND DatePart("ww",[dbo_Movement_Details].[Stamp_Date]) = DatePart("ww",Date()) AND Year([dbo_Movement_Details].[Stamp_Date]) = Year(Date());
    Create a new query, switch to SQL view, paste in the above query, then execute it...

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    hkh,

In 4 or 5 lines please tell us WHAT you are trying to do in simple terms.

Steve has given great advice concerning your Where clause use of AND.

You might try watching some free video tutorials by Dr.Daniel Soper that will help you with database concepts.

Intro to Database
    The Relational Model
    Data Modelling and the ER Model

Good luck.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.