chris.data is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013 64bit

Search multiple words

I want to run a query that will search a given field...the table only has two columns...a control number and one for the explanation of the control number. I would like to enter in all the control numbers and explanations and then only pull out those controls that have certain words...such as manages, executes, requires etc. What is the best way to effect this search? I would like to copy and paste the explanations from Word into each field and then only view those that contain any of my required words. Any help would be appreciated!

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Use "Like" in the query criteria : Like "*blah*". If the value will be entered on a form, you will have : Like "*" & Forms!formname!fieldname & "*"

Got it. When I run my report, I want to only pull those controls that have those words in the explanation. Will I need to show that somehow so it pulls the relevant fields? Thank you again.

Will I need to show that somehow so it pulls the relevant fields?
    Don't understand your question. Maybe tell us in words what your report is showing and how it is being run.

So essentially I only have two columns in my table...one for the control name (numbers and letters) and the second is a brief narrative of what the control requires. I want to run a report that only pulls controls that hit on certain words that I enter in my query. It has been a long time since I was last in access...like Bill Clinton was president long! However, I remember setting up my table, then my query and based on the criteria set forth in there I could generate my report. I am not certain how to, one, set up that query, and two, create a report that shows those controls with the required words.

Create a query with all the fields that you want to see on your report. Under the "words" field add the criteria like I said. Either you will type it in and change the query every time you run your report, or you can enter it when the report runs (Like "*" & [Enter word] & "*")

Create your report using the wizard based off this query.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.