JeRz is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit

Combo box best practice?

Hi everyone,

I feel like this is a stupid question but, I feel like I've read some conflicting viewpoints and need some clarification. A DB I have uses 2 forms. Both forms are requiring a new field called ExternalReferralSouce. I want to use a combo box for this but have started reading about the evil lookup field within a table. Since chances are good that this list will require expansion, is the best method to store these values in their own table and use the combo box to lookup those values in that table to insert into the table called tblIssues and the ExternalReferralSouce field? Is it wise to always avoid typing in the values you want right within the combo box wizard?

I'm not sure why I am having issues grasping this. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

thanks!

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    A combo box uses a data list from a table or a value list you enter(no table). If you use a value list, you can set Limit to List = Yes and Allow Value List Edits = Yes to let your users update the list as needed. Or you can make a table with the values and base the combo box on that table/field, then create a pop up form for them to add/delete values and then refresh the combo box.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    depends. I have a combo where i have a fixed list from a table. Adding is rare. BUT it simplifies the manager to add records to it via an admin screen.
    Users then get the new item.

another, I use a query to pull from a field in the data table. It only pulls the existing UNIQUE records. Say a list of Managers: Bob,Sam,Jill.
    there are many records of Bobs and Sams, but the unique pulls their name only once.
    THEN if a new manager shows, Sally, she is added into the data, and now her name will show in the combo box next time.
    Sort of a self filling combo.

JeRz is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Thank you for the replies!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.