dopeyjh is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Querying a Linked table - not searching all records

Hi,

I am wondering if there is a limit to how many records a query on a linked table will search?

I have a form that when a user clicks on a button it will look up the information based on the account number and populate portions of the form with the information from the linked table. The below code works. I've looked up several accounts and it populates, however some it will not find, when i know they exist. I can manually find them in the linked table and query them directly in the table.

Its almost as it it's not searching the entire table (which is rather large) (2 500 000 records) - it seems to search the first half of the table. When I query records at the beginning of the table it finds them and works as expected, but if i pick a record further down the table it doesn't find it.

Is there a limit? If there is anyway around it? Or is there something else I should be doing?

Any suggestions, help is appreciated

Code:
    Private Sub bttnLoadData_Click()

Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Dim sSQL As String

If Me.txtNumber <> "" Then
    sSQL = "SELECT * FROM linkedTable WHERE STR(linkedTable.Number)  = '" & Me.txtNumber & "'"

Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(sSQL, dbOpenDynaset)

If rs.RecordCount = 0 Then

MsgBox "Unable to locate the account ", vbExclamation + vbOKOnly

Else

Me.txtCloseDate = rs.Fields("DATE_CLOS").Value
            Me.txtLN1 = rs.Fields("LN1").Value

rs.Close
            Set rs = Nothing

End If

Else
        MsgBox "Please enter account number", vbExclamation + vbOKOnly

End If

End Sub

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Change the text box to a combobox with a query that contains DATE_CLOS and LN1. Then populate those two fields from the combobox. Or else use a filter on the form (if bound to the table).

I should have added that there are an additional 20+ fields that I am populating on the form, for simplicity reasons I removed them from the code above.
    Does that mean that I should change each one of them to a combo box and update the source to the query?

I don't see how that's going to change anything? The form is populating as it should.

For some reason the SQL query doesn't seem to be searching the entire table. If i type in an account number where the record is at the beginning of the table, lets say the 30th record, the query will work, it will look up the 20+ fields and populate them accordingly. But if i type in an account number that's closer to the end of the table, the SQL statement can't find it.

However, If I go into the Query builder and run the exact same thing(an account closer to the bottom of the table), it will find the record no problem. ???

Do you really need to populate the fields using VBA? If you added the table/query as the Record Source for the form, then clicking the button will be able to filter:
    Me.Filter="keyfieldname=" & me!formfieldname (with quotes if text)
    Me.FilterOn=True
    Me.Requery

That will populate all the fields on the form.

(Is the field on your table REALLY called "Number"?)

No, I suppose it doesn't need to, the idea was that the user would open the form enter the acctNum (actual name ) click the button to look up some of the system information, which is only 1/3 of the form contents and the proceed to complete the remaining fields on the form.

Apologies on the delay in responding to my question.
    I need to be able to edit and manipulate the data and then store the information into a new table. Essentially just want to lookup the information to save the users from having to retype the information in.

I was able to narrow the original issue down a little more, with the same code as originally posted, it will produce results when the Account Number is 6 digits, if the account number is 7 digits it won't find it.

Any ideas?

No real reason from what you have given as to why it finds some but not others. So if the first record has 7 digits then it won't find it? That must be something to do with the way things are defined, impossible for me to take a guess.

Another method would be to run an append query seeing that you are adding a new record to a table. Once they enter the account let the append query include the fields required, the form is bound to the new table and you do the filter method.

FIXED IT!!!
    changed the Select statement..this is the winner
    "Select * From [linkedTable] Where [linkedTable.Number] = " & txtAcctNum
    and works like a charm!

Good job, well done!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.