ali1979 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Import data from excel, with repeating records

Hello,
    I have an excel sheet about operated patients.

Columns include: patientID, firstname, middlename, surname, address, surgerydate, ... (10 more columns related to surgerydate), surgerycode, surgeryname
    (PatientID is actually unique IDCard numbers of citizens, however there are foreign patient records who are missing a unique PatientID)
    1. Patient may be operated once, with one surgery code
    2. Patient may be operated once, with more than one surgery code

3. Patient may be operated more than once, with one surgery code
    4. Patient may be operated more than once, with more than one surgery code

Because of these possibilities, i created 3 tables:
    1- PatientDemographicsTable: DemographicsID (primary key), PatientID, firstname, middlename, surname, address
    2- SurgeryDateTable: SurgeryDateTableID (primary key), DemographicsID, PatientID, SurgeryDate, ... (10 more columns) --> Linked to table above with DemographicsID
    3- SurgeryCodeTable: SurgeryCodeTableID (primary key), SurgeryDateTableID, PatientID, SurgeryCode, SurgeryName --> Linked to SurgeryDateTable with SurgeryDateTableID

I tried to import data into access, however i failed because of repeating records.
    Do you know any way to do it?

Since i failed to do it, i created excel tables with the same access table fields, then i imported, now all data is in access in tables described above. However, as you can guess, i cannot copy the primary keys of parents to the childs.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    create a linked table(s) to your spreadsheet(s)

then use an append query(s), importing parent first and joining the linked table to the parent table on a name, whatever, to 'lookup' the ID

Not sure what you mean by repeating records - do you mean you have repeating records in excel, or you don't want to import if already imported?

If the former, use SELECT DISTINCT in your append query to eliminate duplicates

If the latter, join the linked table to your access table by a uniqueID (which may be several fields) using a LEFT JOIN and import where the access table uniqueID is null

Windows 10 Access 2016

Sample Data in Image

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    create a linked table(s) to your spreadsheet(s)

then use an append query(s), importing parent first and joining the linked table to the parent table on a name, whatever, to 'lookup' the ID

Not sure what you mean by repeating records - do you mean you have repeating records in excel, or you don't want to import if already imported?

If the former, use SELECT DISTINCT in your append query to eliminate duplicates

If the latter, join the linked table to your access table by a uniqueID (which may be several fields) using a LEFT JOIN and import where the access table uniqueID is null
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-02-13.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	27485

As you see, the yellow highlighted area is the same patient, which should be recorded as single record in patientdemographics table,
    Reds, pinks, and browns area should be included in surgerydate table as 3 different records (3 different dates of surgery)
    green, greenish, and dark blue area should be all recorded in surgerycode table as 6 different records (green should be child of red, dark blue should be child of brown, and red, pink and brown should be all children of yellow)

Sample Database: Patient.zip
    Last edited by ali1979; 02-13-2017 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Adding accdb file

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    As advised, use SELECT DISTINCT

Just looking at the highlighted rows and assuming you have linked to the excel table with a table names 'ExcelLink'

for patients (assuming it has just the 6 columns with the column headings per your excel)

INSERT INTO tblPatients
    SELECT DISTINCT PatientID, Firstname, middlename, surname, birthdate, address
    FROM ExcelLink

for surgery

INSERT INTO tblSurgery
    SELECT DISTINCT PatientID, Surgerydate, surgerystart,......
    FROM ExcelLink

for surgery code table - not clear what this links to, but assuming it is tblSurgery, when a new record is inserted it should have a SurgeryID autonumber field. You also need to be able to identify this from the existing surgery data. For the purposes of this example, I'm assuming it is surgerydate. It may be the DISTINCT is not required, but left it in just in case

INSERT INTO tblSurgeryCodes
    SELECT DISTINCT tblSurgery.SurgeryID, SurgeryCode, SurgeryName
    FROM ExcelLink INNER JOIN tblSurgery ON ExcelLink.SurgeryStart=tblSurgery.SurgeryStart

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    IMO, I think you should rethink your table structures/relationships.
    I've been looking at the table "Excelsheet" and have come up with this structure

Name:	Patient1.jpg 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	27497

I don't know where to include these fields because I don't understand what they are for:
    SurgeryGroup - A3-Grubu
    Side - (no data)
    Wound - (no data)
    ASAScore - (no data)
    Anesthesia - (no data)
    Time - 90 dk ' "Time" is a reserved word and shouldn't be used as an object name.
    Department - First

My $.02........

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    IMO, I think you should rethink your table structures/relationships.
    I've been looking at the table "Excelsheet" and have come up with this structure

Name:	Patient1.jpg 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	27497

I don't know where to include these fields because I don't understand what they are for:
    SurgeryGroup - A3-Grubu
    Side - (no data)
    Wound - (no data)
    ASAScore - (no data)
    Anesthesia - (no data)
    Time - 90 dk ' "Time" is a reserved word and shouldn't be used as an object name.
    Department - First

My $.02........
    Thank you for the detailed table link structure. However, i do not need such complex structure. The table link structure i need is in image below.

Because;
    SurgeryGroup - A3-Grubu Side - (there is some data) Wound - (there is some data) ASAScore - (there is some data) Anesthesia - (there is some data) Time - 90 dk ' (It can be SurgeryTime) Department - First are all related to the specific surgery record additional infos, which will also be included into SurgeryDate table. I just did not include those for the database to create a quick sample db.

Name:	2017-02-14.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	27505

OK, but your design is flawed. Based on your example data, you will have problems entering your data.

For instance, the table "SurgeryCode" looks like it holds "SurgeryCode" and "SurgeryName" as a look up table. But you have SurgeryDateID (PK) linked to "SurgeryCode.SurgeryDateID (FK)" which is backwards. "SurgeryCode.SurgeryCodeID (PK)" should link to "SurgeryDate.SurgeryCodeID (FK)".

Looking at the table "Excelsheet", there is a patient that has 2 doctors. A patient (for one surgery) can have many doctors and one doctor can have many patients. Therefore, this is a many-to-many relationship - you need a junction table.
    Same with surgeries. One surgery (procedure) can have many surgery codes and one surgery code can be for many surgeries (procedures). Many-to-many;need a junction table.

Good luck with your project...

Windows 10 Access 2016

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    OK, but your design is flawed. Based on your example data, you will have problems entering your data.

For instance, the table "SurgeryCode" looks like it holds "SurgeryCode" and "SurgeryName" as a look up table. But you have SurgeryDateID (PK) linked to "SurgeryCode.SurgeryDateID (FK)" which is backwards. "SurgeryCode.SurgeryCodeID (PK)" should link to "SurgeryDate.SurgeryCodeID (FK)".

Looking at the table "Excelsheet", there is a patient that has 2 doctors. A patient (for one surgery) can have many doctors and one doctor can have many patients. Therefore, this is a many-to-many relationship - you need a junction table.
    Same with surgeries. One surgery (procedure) can have many surgery codes and one surgery code can be for many surgeries (procedures). Many-to-many;need a junction table.

Good luck with your project...
    Oopppsss, i missed that doctors possibility! Thank you. I may move doctors field into surgerycode table. It's still simpler, wouldn't it be?

The same possibility exists with the surgery codes also. See the junction tables.

Maybe I misunderstand what the table "SurgeryCode" is for.

--------------------
    PS - it is not really a good idea to have multiple objects with the same name....... ie Table "SurgeryCode" and a field in that table of "SurgeryCode".

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.