rdougherty is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

count records in query, export query only if count achieved

Hello,

I have a requirement to spit out a spreadsheet from an Access DB if the record count of a query is greater than 0 or (or would it be not null?).

In this case, I am searching for special characters in a file that must be removed prior to proceeding, and an analyst must manually remove them (automation of this task is not ideal at this time).

The query finds records with problem chars, and then if there are any records in that set, it needs to export. I already know how to export and have a functioning query, I just need help with creating vba to instruct it to export ONLY if it finds some records meeting that criteria.

Thanks in advance,

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    could be as simple as
    Code:
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset

Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset ("qryNameOfYourQuery", dbOpenDynaset)
    If rs.RecordCount > 0
      'export, output, whatever
    End If

Set rs = Nothing
    This assumes you have a reference to DAO and you don't care about the count of records, just that there's at least one. From reading your post, I'm guessing you're OK with the rest, so I didn't put in any error checking.
    Last edited by Micron; 02-07-2017 at 06:12 PM. Reason: added info
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    and an analyst must manually remove them (automation of this task is not ideal at this time)
    I would think it would be easy to automatically remove the special characters from the dataset (query) using the Replace function.
    Or you could remove the special characters from the tables, then export the data.......

Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    I would think it would be easy to automatically remove the special characters from the dataset (query) using the Replace function.
    Or you could remove the special characters from the tables, then export the data.......
    That is, of course, very reasonable and correct. However, my "client" (boss, who knows nothing about access) would prefer at this time not to destroy the files we import and recreate them again and then load them into a second system where they are fed into. (tihs is the same project you and I are discussing for Vendor/Voucher file importation in the other thread)

Essentially, the data is considered too sensitive to trust this auto-process to auto-correct, in addition to auto-checking certain data integrity needs.

EDIT: I should also add that this step in our biz process is not the ideal step to remove special chars, but rather in an earlier step when these files are initially created by an analyst, who QC's some files coming out of a system. Hoewver, I have tackled automating this step in our process first, and then will tackle that later. But in the meantime, we need to be aware of any special chars that exist...

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    could be as simple as
    Code:
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset

Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset ("qryNameOfYourQuery", dbOpenDynaset)
    If rs.RecordCount > 0
      'export, output, whatever
    End If

Set rs = Nothing
    This assumes you have a reference to DAO and you don't care about the count of records, just that there's at least one. From reading your post, I'm guessing you're OK with the rest, so I didn't put in any error checking.
    Thank you, this worked perfectly!

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Welcome,you are.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.