stephanie77 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question Multiple label caption in reports (depending on customer language)

I've search a lot on the web and didn't find anything near what I would like to get/do in my DB so again, I'm begging for your help and creativity!!

I would like Access to manage automatically the caption of my labels (and fields ultimately via a lexique or something like that but let's stick to the darn labels first) in a report, based on the language of for example, the customer to whom this report is dedicated (report=invoice).

I only have two choices to deal with : french or english

Just so you know, each company in my customers and suppliers tables have a field that specifies which language they are doing business in.

I don't need the translation for users, but really on pdf/printed/extract reports (I specify cause all I have found on the web was translation for the DB users!!!)

I ask for multiple label captions cause that's the only way I could think of doing this but if you have better idea, please inspire me!

Thanks in advance!

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I think this would be easier with textboxes that look like labels as opposed to actual labels. No idea where your two sets of data comes from, but if you have a 'language' flag as you say, why not have a query return all the values to the report controls being used as labels? One query could be for French, the other English. The proper query could be opened based on the language flag.
    Last edited by Micron; 01-30-2017 at 07:13 PM. Reason: grammar
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Sounds like you need a translation table - something like

English.................French
    Customer..............Client
    Invoice Number.....Numéro de Facture

Although I would suggest something more normalised if you have many languages

In your customer table, have a field to indicate language

then in your report, if language=French then loop through each label and swap the text

something like

Code:
    if language=French then
    for each ctrl in me.controls
        if ctrl.controltype=aclabel then ctrl.caption=nz(dlookup("French","tblTranslations","English='" & ctrl.caption "'"),ctrl.caption)
    next ctrl
    or you can have a table to store name of report, name of control, language and phrase

reportname...controlname...language...phrase
    Invoice.........lblInvNo.........1..............In voice Number
    Invoice.........lblInvNo.........2..............Nu méro de Facture

etc

and a similar loop

Code:
    set rst.currentdb.opnrecordset("SELECT * FROM tblCaptions WHERE reportname='" & me.name & "'")
    while not rst.eof
        me(rst!controlname).caption=rst!phrase
        rst.movenext
    wend

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2013
    So both M and A have provided advanced examples with a table driven design. If a less complex solution meets your need you can make a duplicate of each label by language, arrange them on top of each other - and then in the On Format of the report section manage which labels are visible.

For instance have the user select which language report they seek - and use that flag as the criteria.

Toggling visibility of labels is typically more advantageous than making an entire duplicate set of reports by language. Although if the report count is low and it is certain they will not be redesigned - duplicate reports could be considered. However it can become a real trap as each redesign must be done twice.

Managing visibility of labels is simpler, in the programming sense, than a table driven approach. However if you have lots of reports and lots of languages then the table driven design will be far more efficient in the long run. So your implementation method depends on your requirements.

stephanie77 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Wow, that's creativity!! Thanks a lot everyone!

I will have many reports to produce so I guess I'd better go with the translation table

Will do some tests with your propositions Ajax and see how it goes... stay tuned!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.