Squirrel1804 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Security for 2013 like User & Permissions in 2003

I've got a database that has multivalue fields therefore I can't save it in 2003 format which has the User & Permissions function.
    So my issue is I love the User & Permission function because it works perfectly for my security needs but I also need something like the multivalue fields for my forms.
    Can anyone please help me with this? I've been working on this for AGES and it's only a matter of time before my work realises it's taking me too friggin long to get this database complete.
    i need an alternative to multivalue fields

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Since 2003 does not use Attachment fields, you will need to export all multivalue items into a folder.
    you need to make a child table to store the location of the files.
    save the pathnames (and keys) in the child table.

save tMyTable.attachment.rst(myDoc.doc) to "\\server\folder\myDoc.doc" (where tMyTable.Key = 123)
    save tMyChildTbl.key = tMyTable.Key, and tMyChildTbl.path = "\\server\folder\myDoc.doc"

Squirrel1804 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks for that. What would be my alternative option for security if I used 2013 with the multivalues?
    I've googled a bit but nothing I find seems to have the same kind of security. Basically I want add in users with different permissions on accessing tables, queries, forms, reports etc. I need a "Users" and "Admin" and the admin one needs to have a password, its fine for users not to have one. I'd also like for the navigation pane to be only accessed by admin (users can see it but if they click on it, it just denies them access). Thanks

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    the old .mdb security option is totally abandoned and regardless how much you like it - it would be very unwise to attempt to prolong that technology.

I don't quite get how security is related to multi value fields. These are a bad option, in my opinion, from Microsoft - though I suppose I understand the attraction to them in a sense...they are a real hassle to query and parse. The classic alternative is the child or sub table.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.