oiliboi is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Question Syncing my Access files with other computer?

I have access files on my computer. I need to add these files to another computer but I need them to sync with each other (so for example, edits from one computer are visible in the other).

How can I do this?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    This is one of those things you should have designed in before getting to this position.

you need to use a series of unmatched/update/insert queries to sync each table. If both users are adding data to the same tables, you will need to find a way of resolving the fact that both users will have created records with the same primary key. Moving forward, change autonumbers from increment to random, but doing this on existing data may mess up your relationships.

T1 is table in one users db, T2 the other. In outline

1. T1 left join to T2 on PK where T2 PK is null will identify records in T1 that are not in T2
    2. T2 left join to T1 on PK where T1 PK is null will identify records in T2 that are not in T1
    3. T1 inner join to T2 on PK where each field is compared for difference - if different you need a rule to decide which is the right one, then update the 'wrong table'. for example perhaps your tables have timestamp fields and you choose the one with the latest timestamp.
    4. You may also need to decide what to do about records that have been deleted in one of the db's - it will be repopulated with query1 or 2 above. Usual practice is to have a 'deleted' field in the table which can be used to filter those records out in criteria.

Why haven't you just split the database so both users can share the back end?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.