Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AccessPower is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    I was introduced to a form design like this many, many years ago. The details section is in continuous form view of the main table.
    There are list boxes that are activated/updated are cascading list boxes.

So you would start out by selecting a client in the details section. The first list box "1 - Division" is updated. Selecting a record in that list box updates the following list box...... Double clicking a list box brings up a details form.

The buttons (some are text boxes configured to act like buttons - able to change bg colors) bring up forms for different actions.
    I used to use a main form with a lot of buttons, but the current design is better - data is instantly visible, can drill down by double clicking list boxes.
    Many UDFs to provide values in the black section/ yellow text boxes.

List boxes show data, take up less space than sub forms and double clicking allows for form to be opened to add/edit/delete data, select reports or perform maintenance (if you have permissions).
    Listboxes are so useful if you know how to access the data within them. On the database that I linked above, you can navigate between listboxes on different pages of the subform navigation. Click on an employee, you're taken to their profile. Click on a course the employee has taken, you're taken to the course. Seamless.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Pretty much what I do, but a single click refreshes some of the list boxes, while a double click opens a details form (profile if an employee), otherwise it may be a menu form - as in the report button that would open the report menu form to set options/report name.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    only problem with your form load compared with mine is you don't assign a value to txtpNumber so potential for problems unless you have set the default on the control to 1.

Not sure why you added the else part, it isn't necessary.

You can also allow the user to choose a page number by allowing them to edit txtpNumber - but put validation rules in so user cannot leave as null or enter a negative number

And you need additional code to prevent users 'nexting' beyond the end of the table - although all that will happen if they do is return an empty recordset

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    only problem with your form load compared with mine is you don't assign a value to txtpNumber so potential for problems unless you have set the default on the control to 1.

Not sure why you added the else part, it isn't necessary.

You can also allow the user to choose a page number by allowing them to edit txtpNumber - but put validation rules in so user cannot leave as null or enter a negative number

And you need additional code to prevent users 'nexting' beyond the end of the table - although all that will happen if they do is return an empty recordset
    Yeah I noticed that and just set the default value to the textbox. Also like the idea of having users be able to edit the page number. It makes too much sense not to do that, eh?

So new idea to toss around:

Has anyone here done custom ribbons in a database?

Can you think of any instances where a custom ribbon would be useful? How about form navigation in instances where you have multiple forms with subforms. Would it be better to have the navigation on the ribbon itself?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I don't think there is a best way - it all depends on how the user is interacting with the data. Personally I don't use the ribbon because I always hide the access window - many of my clients use runtime and there is nothing to see in the access window in runtime and if they have a full version I don't want them to have access to the navigation window etc anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    I don't think there is a best way - it all depends on how the user is interacting with the data. Personally I don't use the ribbon because I always hide the access window - many of my clients use runtime and there is nothing to see in the access window in runtime and if they have a full version I don't want them to have access to the navigation window etc anyway.
    I hadn't even heard of the runtime version before this. :OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    if you want to know what runtime looks like, just rename your .accdb/.accde with .accdr. Any testing needs to be done as .accdr to identify missing functionality

Ensure you have a form to automatically open when the db is opened otherwise nothing will happen.

you will need to write your own routines to replace the ribbon, navigation window and shortcut menus if required. Also with runtime you cannot edit forms/reports/queries/code, you can google to find out it's limitations.

runtime is free and can be downloaded from ms - just google 'access 2013 runtime download' but no point loading it to a machine that has the full version.

What do you guys think of subform navigation controls? Use them in any interesting ways? I've actually used one as a menubar right under the form header. Looks and feels like a menu bar. I've recently started doing tiles, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.