evander is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2003

Post User-level security, split DB (FE on user comp's, BE on server)

Hi guys!

I'm having trouble deploying a split DB with ULS. I don't know how to link the FE to the BE. I gave individual copies of the FE to users, and stored the BE in a server.

I know how to...
    1. Split a DB
    2. Implement ULS
    3. Split a DB with implemented ULS

When I copy the FE and the MDW file in each user terminal and attempt to re-link the tables to the BE, I get an error message. I took a peek at the tables in the FE, and they all say "unknown link."

How can I solve this problem? Please help. I'm in a desperate situation. The encoding of beginning balances is due tomorrow. See this smiley? It means I'm going crazy.

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    What's the error message? Error messages are very important as they will almost always tell you exactly what went wrong (assuming you know how to read them, which isn't always easy).

Off the top of my head though, it sounds like a network permissions error and not necessarily an Access issue.

Windows 7 Access 2003
    Okay Rawb. I'll check the permissions. Will post any update. Thanks But... is linking the FE tables to the BE tables supposed to be easy? Do I have to log in in the workgroup as the admin to establish the linking? I tried imagining what I did this afternoon just now, and I think I forgot to log in as an admin... Sigh. Hope I'll survive tomorrow.

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    You shouldn't have to, but it depends on your security settings. I would imagine that if you didn't have permission to make the link, you wouldn't have even been able to try (the option would have been grayed out).

Also, as long as the setup is the same on each computer (they all have the same drive mapped to the BE's folder, etc.) then you souldn't have to do anything with the linking. It should just work.

Where I work, every computer has their G: drive mapped to the folder where the BE file is (the MDW file's in there too). That way, I can copy the FE to any computer and it "just works" without any setup. Having the MDW file on the network keeps me from having to update everyone's computers whenever it changes too.

You'll still need to make sure the MDW file is being used, but you should only have to do that the first time.

Windows 7 Access 2003
    Mapping. I think that will work for me too. I can do that tomorrow. Thanks for the idea Rawb! I'll update you as soon as I implement your suggestion. And... I still have to finish a lot of query objects tonight.

Windows 7 Access 2003
    Oh Rawb. I can't have a server. Everyone's using his own computer, and the database resides in one of the user's computer. Now I know this is security breach, but I do need a solution that works for the current setup now.

Is it possible to create a mapped drive in the host computer, and when the employee using that computer opens the database, the front-end uses the mapped location instead of its native location?

Sigh. This is driving me crazy, but I'm gonna try it tonight.
    I need your help badly.

-Joe-

Windows 7 Access 2003
    Heya Rawb. Your mapping technique worked for me.
    I do have a small problem, though. When I copy the FE to another computer over the network, the linked tables become permanent tables, so I have to delete the FE permanent tables manually, and replace them with linked tables.

I'm quite sure that the FE had linked tables even before copying them to another computer.
    Hope this doesn't cause me any problem

Thanks Rawb!

I'll mark this solved, but could you still reply to this last post of mine? Thanks a lot!

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    OK, Post #1 Reply:
    As you found out, it's perfectly acceptable to map a drive to a location on another user's computer. A basic rule of thumb is: If it exists on the network, you can map a drive to it (you can even map drives to some high-end printers, as long as they have a hard drive or similar!).

I'd make sure of two things though: First, you have everyone's logon information on the computer where you've stored the BE file. That way everyone can log on as themselves without having to know an extra password.

And second, to get the FE to use the mapped drive, you need to break the link and then re-link the tables using the mapped drive. In other words, if you mapped the drive when both files were on the same computer, the FE will think the BE is always on the same computer it's on. If you used a UNC path when linking the BE, it will always use a UNC path, etc.

Post #2 Reply:
    I've never run into that problem before when copying an FE to another computer, but it could be that the database realizes it can't see the BE so it creates the tables locally when you open it from the other computer. I'd double check the links to see how the FE is trying to find the BE.

Good luck!

Windows 7 Access 2003
    Thanks Rawb! I really really thank you for helping me with this. It works! I hope this project goes well.

More power Rawb!

Joe

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.