humtake is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Split database shortcut

Hello all,

I recently split my database and there are two issues I was hoping the experts could help me clear up.

1. I have a shortcut pointing to the database file that opens the form and minimizes Access, so the user only sees the form. The way I do this is in the link below (very simple)

https://accessexperts.com/blog/2015/...cess-tutorial/

However, ever since I split my database, something funky happens. The form opens as usual which is just some buttons that open up other forms. When I click on one of those buttons, I get a run-time error 2046 that says, "The command or action 'GoToRecord' isn't available". When I debug, it points to a line of code that I have:

Code:
    Private Sub Form_Load()
        DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec
    End Sub
    If I remember correctly, I only added this line of code because when the form opened it would also show the first record in the table but I wanted it to be blank. The funny party is, once I close the error I can then close and open the form without getting the error.

So, is there another way to make this form open without Access opening on the screen, as well? I know I can't keep the shortcut I made anyways because it defeats the purpose of splitting the database since I have to put the front end on a server anyways and create a shortcut to it, so it's like I'm making a shortcut of a shortcut.

2. This one isn't very important and is more of a noob question but if anyone has the time to read. I thought splitting the database would make the front-end file much smaller while keeping the data in the backend. However, it did it backwards. The front-end file is 8 mb and the back-end file is less than a mb. It's a small database now but I'm confused, I thought the purpose was so you could use the front end to distribute to the users, meaning the smaller the file...the better. As I add forms I can see the front end file getting larger and larger to the point where distributing it is more of a pain than the benefit of splitting it in the first place. Am I just seeing this wrong because my database is so small? Once the front end file gets over 25mb, I can't email it to the users (email attachment cap) and they will have to download it from a server, but everything I've read says users won't have to interface with servers after splitting because all of the data is only in the back end. I'm just not seeing any purpose to splitting if the data has to traverse the network anyways, so bandwidth is still going to be a problem, right?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    You can't goto first record,if records are blank.
    either let the form open on a record,random,usu the first rec shows anyway.
    or
    filter directly to a record,
    or
    start with blank data entry.

Thanks for the reply!

Using the code in my post is the only way I've been able to get the form to open up blank without errors. It is only when I split the database did it start giving me this error. It was working perfectly before that.

If by"blank data entry" you mean changing the Data Entry attribute, I cannot do that. If I set the For Properties to Data Entry = Yes, it errors out. I went through that problem some time ago. But not really sure what you mean by that, though.

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit
    I had the same issue as your number 1. I moved it to a different folder and it went away. Could it be anything to do with trusted locations?

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Regarding 2, do you have images on forms/reports? That can make it larger than expected. You might try a compact/repair, which may shrink it down. In general the back end will grow with data and the front end will stay relatively static.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Quote Originally Posted by aytee111 View Post
    I had the same issue as your number 1. I moved it to a different folder and it went away. Could it be anything to do with trusted locations?
    In one of my Google results it did mention trusted locations so I added the location of the front end as a trusted location. However, it wouldn't allow me to add the network share as a trusted location, so maybe I need to figure that piece out and try again.

pbaldy, I do not have images. However, I am also unfamiliar with how the size grows. Since I only have 8 forms and 6 queries, being 8mb surprised me. If this sounds normal after a split database, I'll just keep an eye on how it grows as I add forms to make sure it isn't growing too fast. Thanks!

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Do a Compact & Repair on it and see if it shrinks (under the File menu). Database files can bloat with usage.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit
    Number 1 - what does "wouldn't allow" mean? Did you set to allow trusted locations on the network?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    PMFJI, just a couple of comments:

I know I can't keep the shortcut I made anyways because it defeats the purpose of splitting the database since I have to put the front end on a server anyways and create a shortcut to it,
    EACH user should have a copy of the FE on their computer.

The purpose of splitting the dB is
    1) to try and eliminate corruption. Multiple users in the same FE at the same time is a know cause of dB corruption.
    2) make it easier to make changes to the forms, queries, reports and code without worrying about the data (tables).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.