VisitDate
    IssueType
    IssueTypeSub
    Notes
    Status
    Opened By
    Closed By
    PatientID

There is a One to Many between the PatientID field in the Family table to the Issues table

Third table is tblUser:
    UserID
    UserNmae (PK)
    IserLogin
    Password
    Email

There isa one to Many between the UserName field and the Opened By field in tblIssues

My last two tables are tblIssueType and tblIssueTypeSub. The purpose of these tables is for cascading combo boxes on the IssueEntry form. They function correctly. They insert whatever value is selected into the IssueType and IssueTypeSub fields that are in tblIssues.

I have two main questions. Since the IssueType and IssueTypeSub tables have ID fields in them, should I be creating relationships from them to tblIssues? Is there an easier way to achieve the combo boxes without using the tables in that manner?

The main reason I am bringing this up is I am trying to filter a report using combo boxes based on the Issue Type and Sub Issue Types.

Please let me know if anything further is needed. Thank you for any help!

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    should I be creating relationships from them to tblIssues? You could, but I don't see a reason to do that unless you need it as a means of enforcing data entry. That is, prevent the record from being saved if issue or sub issue was not chosen. This could also be accomplished by making the field required at the table level, or via code. Several ways to skin just about any cat, not that I know why we say that. Is there an easier way than what manner? I don't follow. What you seem to have with issues and sub issues are lookup tables and it is quite common and proper to provide combos with lookup values this way.

However, what are you storing in issues? Some word, or the Issues Id number? It should be the number so that if you decided to change an issue name, the new value would propagate throughout. Same wit sub issues.
    Last edited by Micron; 12-23-2016 at 02:28 PM. Reason: clarification
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

JeRz is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    should I be creating relationships from them to tblIssues? You could, but I don't see a reason to do that unless you need it as a means of enforcing data entry. That is, prevent the record from being saved if issue or sub issue was not chosen. This could also be accomplished by making the field required at the table level, or via code. Several ways to skin just about any cat, not that I know why we say that. Is there an easier way than what manner? I don't follow. What you seem to have with issues and sub issues are lookup tables and it is quite common and proper to provide combos with lookup values this way.

However, what are you storing in issues? Some word, or the Issues Id number? It should be the number so that if you decided to change an issue name, the new value would propagate throughout. Same wit sub issues.
    Thank you for your reply. I am storing the Issue ID # in issues. Thank you for clarifying this for me. I just started thinking when looking at the structure and wanted to make sure I was good with how I had things setup.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.