lonesoac0 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

I KNOW I am doing it wrong

Hello all,

I know I am doing something wrong in my Do While loop in the steps. While this code is functional, I would like to make it more elegant. I feel like I am lobotomizing my date value in Step 2, any ideas? The format of my Date field in Access is yyyymm and it is stored as a string.

Code:
    Public Function ImportMonthlyCallSummary()
    Dim MaxDateInMonthly_Reports_Queue_Call_Summary As Date
    Dim TodaysDate As Date

'This is how I get last month's date every time.
    YesterdaysDate = DatePart("M", (Date)) & "/1/" & DatePart("yyyy", (Date))
    YesterdaysDate = DateAdd("D", -1, (YesterdaysDate))
    '========

'This is how this script gets the last date value in the table.
    MaxDateInMonthly_Reports_Queue_Call_Summary = CDate(Format(DLast("Date", "Monthly_Reports_Queue_Call_Summary"), "####/##"))
    '========

' This whole Do Loop is how the data is loaded.
    ' The MaxDateInMontyhly_Reports* is the last value in the table.  YeserdaysDate is last months last date.
    Do While MaxDateInMonthly_Reports_Queue_Call_Summary < YesterdaysDate
    '   This adds one month to the MaxDateInMontyhly_Reports* variable.
        MsgBox ("Step 1")
        MsgBox Format(MaxDateInMonthly_Reports_Queue_Call_Summary, "yyyymmdd")
    '   This adds two months to the max date value. So, if the MaxValue Variable is 20160901 then it is 20161101.
        MaxDateInMonthly_Reports_Queue_Call_Summary = DateAdd("M", 2, MaxDateInMonthly_Reports_Queue_Call_Summary)
        MsgBox ("Step 2")
    '   This lowers the playing field for the end of month date values.  Some are 31, 30, or 29 etc.  This ensures all dates are the 1st for every month.
        MaxDateInMonthly_Reports_Queue_Call_Summary = DatePart("M", (MaxDateInMonthly_Reports_Queue_Call_Summary)) & "/1/" & DatePart("yyyy", (MaxDateInMonthly_Reports_Queue_Call_Summary))
        MsgBox ("Step 3")
    '   This subtracts one day from the "leveled" date value from the above step.
        MaxDateInMonthly_Reports_Queue_Call_Summary = DateAdd("D", -1, (MaxDateInMonthly_Reports_Queue_Call_Summary))
        MsgBox ("Step 4")
        DoCmd.TransferText transferType:=acImportDelim, SpecificationName:="Monthly_Reports_QUEUE_CALL_SUMMARY_Import_Specific", TableName:="Monthly_Reports_Queue_Call_Summary", FileName:="\\NetworkLocation\QUEUE_CALL_SUMMARY_" & Format(MaxDateInMonthly_Reports_Queue_Call_Summary, "yyyymmdd") & ".csv", hasfieldnames:=True
    Loop

For Each t In CurrentDb.TableDefs
        If t.Name Like "*ImportErrors*" Then DoCmd.RunSQL ("DROP TABLE " & t.Name)
    Next

End Function

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit
    If you could explain what the goal is - to import csv files (or only one?) with a date in the file name. What exactly is that date value and it's format? Yes I am sure this can be done more "elegantly"!

This is a worry - please don't say that you have a field on your table called "Date"? This is a reserved word in Access and is a huge no-no.
    DLast("Date", "Monthly_Reports_Queue_Call_Summary")

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Agreed, especially about the field named Date. Plus, don't understand the goal with the dates. You say 'this is how I get last month's date', but last month has anywhere from 28 to 31 dates, so what are you trying to do? Get the date of the first day of last month and/or the date of the last day of last month? I think it is only the last date of the previous month and you want to query between that date and yesterday, whenever that is. However, you also have this
    "This lowers the playing field for the end of month date values. Some are 31, 30, or 29 etc. This ensures all dates are the 1st for every month."

FWIW, this
    Date-DatePart("d",date)
    will return the last date of the previous month regardless of how many days were in that month or the one you're in, so that is simpler, which I guess is the whole point of your question.
    I don't get this format ####/## for a date that's stored as a string either.

Also, you have
    Code:
    '   This adds one month to the MaxDateInMontyhly_Reports* variable.
        MsgBox ("Step 1")
    but I don't see that happening. Where's the added month part? It seems you'll get one transfer, then the next is 2 months later, and each additional loop will add 2 months - unless somewhere in the following code you're stepping back one month from some value. Afraid I can't decipher that - makes my head spin. Lastly for now, would you not want to know which imports didn't work rather than just dumping the error table? Here's a version (probably screwed up because I don't understand the process) that might provide clues on how to consolidate your code.

Code:
    Public Function ImportMonthlyCallSummary()
    Dim dteMaxDate as Date
    Dim dteToday as Date, dteLastMonth as Date
    Private Const specNme = "Monthly_Reports_QUEUE_CALL_SUMMARY_Import_Specific"
    Private Const tblNme = "Monthly_Reports_Queue_Call_Summary"
    Private Const fileNme = "\\NetworkLocation\QUEUE_CALL_SUMMARY_" & Format

'I don't get the idea behind the date format, even if the table field contains a date in the form of 42,721.00
    'if it needs formatting, the # signs don't make sense to me.
    'dteMaxDate = CDate(Format(DLast("Date", "Monthly_Reports_Queue_Call_Summary"), "####/##"))
    'seems to me it should be 
    dteMaxDate = CDate(DLast("Date", "Monthly_Reports_Queue_Call_Summary"))
    dteLastMonth = Date()-DatePart("d",Date())

Do While dteMaxDate < dteLastMonth 
     ' This adds one month to the MaxDateInMontyhly_Reports* variable.
        dteMaxDate = DateAdd("M", 1)
        DoCmd.TransferText acImportDelim, SpecNme, tblNme, FileNme & Format (dteMaxDate, "yyyymmdd") & ".csv", True
     Loop

For Each t In CurrentDb.TableDefs
         If t.Name Like "*ImportErrors*" Then DoCmd.RunSQL ("DROP TABLE " & t.Name)
     Next

End Function
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.