emirbud is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Puzzled

At work we share Access 2007 database over LAN network. It is password protected. While I have it open on my computer, my colleague is able to open it and override me. It is still open on my computer, but he has higher level of permissions. How is this possible?
    Thanks!

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Is there only 1 database,
    or
    Is the database split? (As it should be)

JoeM is offline VIP
    What do you mean by "override me"?
    What exactly is he doing and how it is overriding you?
    Are you updating database objects, or data?
    If data, I believe the only potential conflict would be if someone was trying to update a particular record that someone already had open.

There is only one database. It is not split. What I mean by override, I can no longer make changes to design of database, but I can update data.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

CJ_London is offline VIP
    What I mean by override, I can no longer make changes to design of database
    when you try go into design view, access requires the db to be exclusive and tries to set to exclusive. It can only do this if you are the only user. If there are other users, exclusivity cannot be set and you will not be able to save any design changes.

I haven't checked Orange's links but can guess what they say. To run the db with your current setup will result in major problems.

1. Split the db
    2. put the backend where everyone can access it
    3. provide each user with their own copy of the front end and located on their own machine
    4. develop/maintain the front end on a development master and update user front ends as required
    5. before making design changes, take a backup copy you can revert to if required - I usually keep all copies so I have a complete design change history.

As designer the only thing you won't be able to do is to make modifications to the backend whilst other users are using it

I know that splitting the database is the way to go. I agree with you. However, the management will not have it. Given the situation, part of my question remains, how is it possible for two users to open and use the database at the same time?

orange is online now Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    This is not something that management can alter by decree.
    No more than buying vehicles and not providing fuel.

What would your management say if you suggested they get rid of the software and database and just use pencil and paper?

If you're going to buy and use the tools, I recommend you and management and decision makers take a holistic view of the facts before making "operating rules" or whatever you call these management edicts.

how is it possible for two users to open and use the database at the same time?
    To avoid corruption and to optimize performance, they split the database and have a copy of the front end on each PC.

Good luck with your project.

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Click Office Button(top Left), Access Options, Advanced, Scroll to bottom. What do you have for Default Open Mode, Record Locking and Open databases by using record-level locking? Maybe something in there?

JoeM is offline VIP
    I know that splitting the database is the way to go. I agree with you. However, the management will not have it.
    What possible reason could they possibly have for not wanting the database split?
    It is a best practice, greatly reduces the possibility of corruption, and makes updating the design much easier (as you are not making changes directly to the production database while it is in use, which is another no-no).

I can't imagine what possible reason they might have for being against that.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    It MUST be split.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    how is it possible for two users to open and use the database at the same time?
    Providing neither user wants to modify the design of the db in any way, they can both enter and add/change data. BUT as has been mentioned a number of times, with your users using the same unsplit db you run a strong risk of corruption. It may not become apparent for a long time - months, perhaps longer - but suddenly nobody will be able to open the db and all forms/code etc but in particular data will be completely lost. Even backups won't help because they may be carrying the corruption in a non apparent way ready to mature at any time. Ask your management what their budget is to completely rebuild, reenter data etc. when (not if) it happens

Thanks everyone for your engagement. However, many of you are focusing on inconsequential issue. I agree that splitting the database is proper thing to do, but that's not the issue here. What puzzles me is how is it possible for someone to open the password protected Access database, while I'm working on it? If someone else is using the same database, I cannot open it. How is it possible for someone else to open it while I'm using it?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    What puzzles me is how is it possible for someone to open the password protected Access database, while I'm working on it? If someone else is using the same database, I cannot open it. How is it possible for someone else to open it while I'm using it?
    A bit like saying 'I put diesel in my petrol car and it's stopped working - why? They are both fuels.

password protection has nothing to do with being able to open a db. As you have been advised before, your problem is to do with opening the db exclusively.

If someone else is using the same database, I cannot open it - because they have opened it exclusively
    How is it possible for someone else to open it while I'm using it? because you haven't opened it exclusively

many of you are focusing on inconsequential issue
    despite the fact the 'focus' provided is the usual way to fix your problem, if you really think it is inconsequential, don't expect much sympathy when the inevitable happens.

Ajax, thanks for the answer. I think you've cleared the issue for me. And just to clear my name, so you all are not upset with me so much, I understand and agree with you and others, saying all those important things about the use of Access database, but I just needed the answer to that other question. I myself am advocating over here for splitting the database. Why they don't want to do it is beyond me. Anyway, it's so difficult to convey the tone in writing, and I may have seemed too cocky while ignorant, trying to get the answer to the question that was nagging on me. Thanks again.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.