SunTop is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2016

Security Warning

Hello Everyone

I have a database that is divided into a front end and a back end. I have the back end located into a network share. I distribute the front end to users. The issue I am facing is that when the user opens the front end the first time, he/she gets a security warning “Some active content has been disabled” at this point the user should click Enable content and starts working with the database. However, sometimes the users ignore this warning and starts working directly on the database and this behavior breaks the functionality of my database. How can I force the user to click the enable content before starting to use the database.

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I would have an autoexec macro call a function that tried to do something harmless with the backend that would work normally, but not when the warning was ignored. Trap the error, give the user a message box and exit the program.

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Thanks for your reply davegri

I am a little confused, the autoexec macro will run before the user clicks enable content or after ? if the macro runs before the user clicks the enable content then the database will exit everytime and never give the user a chance to click enable content, if the macro runs after the user clicks enable content then if the users ignores the security warning then the macro will never run and that will break my database functionality. can you please give me an example of what you would put in the autoexec macro ?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    What error is thrown when 'the behavior breaks the functionality of my database'? Do you get a runtime error with a debug option? What's the exact error?
    The autoexec macro will be the first of your code to run when the database loads.

Windows 8 Access 2016
    The type of error depends on where the user chooses to navigate to after the main form opens, for example if the user navigates to a form where I uses vba code to generate sequential numbering for work orders, then the sequential numbering does not get generated for those work orders. Other problems might occur where ever I use vba for some functionality in my database.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Let me repeat:
    What error is thrown when 'the behavior breaks the functionality of my database'? Do you get a runtime error with a debug option? What's the exact error?

What the autoexec code needs to do:
    >When the warning is present, create a guaranteed error so that you can trap it, inform the user that he has started wrong and the database is going to close.
    >If the warning is not present, the same code would run OK and nothing would be displayed. All is well.

Perhaps the code could do a Dlookup on a table in the BE.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    when the user opens the front end the first time, he/she gets a security warning “Some active content has been disabled”
    This sure sounds like you are trying to open the dB from a non-trusted location.

Each user should have a folder that has been set as a trusted location.

Files/Options/Trust Center/Trust Center Settings/Trusted Locations

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.