f15e is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

MS Access Versions Pre-2007

I was given an Access database to make changes to and it looks to have been done in Access 2003 or earlier. I am unable to make any changes to it because I don't have the original .mdw file that was created by the owner/creator of the DB which included passwords, read/write privileges, etc., for the users of the DB. I also read that the .mdw security feature was removed with the start of Access 2007.

From doing research on-line, I gathered that if I don't have the original .mdw file or an exact copy of it that includes the access privileges, I will NOT be able to make changes to this DB. I just want to make sure that this is correct. I understand that the DB can basically be hacked (unlocked) by the use of paid services, but that wouldn't be an option for me. I would appreciate responses from all confirming that without the original work-group (.mdw) file containing the access/security privileges, I am out of luck with this DB.

Thank you.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I think you are correct about your chances if you don't have an mdw file. If you're in a corporate environment and cannot find the right mdw file for your db, surely they were in the habit of creating network backups? Or it is there in some folder, but you just don't have the necessary permissions to see it, thus won't find it. An IT guy might turn out to be your best friend after all.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Thanks for your reply Micron. We are currently trying to locate the missing .mdw file. The database was created by a person in our overseas location and that person is no longer with the company.

I asked my original question b/c I want to be 100% certain that if I am not able to find the original mdw file that I will not be able to make any changes to the database. Currently, I am unable to access any of the reports, tables, forms, or queries without receiving an error message telling me I don't have permission to do 'xyz'.

It goes without saying (so why am I saying it anyway?) that whatever suggestions you use on your db should be done against a copy of it. I've done some more reading on this and have a few more for consideration. What I don't see in your post is any indication that you can even open the db, but I'm assuming you can, so try a compact/repair on it. Apparently that worked for someone else, but I don't see how it fixes itself because the mdw file is missing.

If you are able to open it, there should be a way to disassociate the mdw file with the db, but it has been so long since I've had to work with mdw files that I don't remember much about them. You'd have to Google how to remove the security file.

Another would be to create a new mdw file (obviously you'd need an older copy of Access) with one user with admin rights (yourself). Hopefully the original security file was the same name as the db, just with the mdw extension instead. Or try using one meant for another db (think you'd have to copy and rename it). If you are not in either of these mdw files, someone else who is and is in the admin group should be able to add you.

That seems to be all I've got, except for possibly opening the file with a command line switch if you want to attempt another mdw file name.
    "C:\pathToMicrosoftAccessHere\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\mydb.mdb" /WRKGRP "C:\PathToMDWfileHere\NameOfMdwFileHere.mdw" /user

Again, I'm rusty on this so I'm not clear on the use of the user switch. You can find more about Access switches here
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...5df9702bf1#bm1

Apparently, if you can get in, you can recreate the mdw file if you know the required info for the old one
    https://community.spiceworks.com/top...sing-mdw-files

I am able to open the database and maneuver through the user interface but cannot access the code or forms to make changes to it. For example, there are headers on some of the forms that need changing but I don't have the required permissions. Same for code changes.

I didn't go into detail about all the things I've tried to keep my posts brief. I did try to import the .mdb into Access 2007 as an .mbd but that didn't work. I would get permission errors for each form, table, query, and report. I tried to make changes in the 'Users and Permissions' section with no luck. Compact/repair didn't work either b/c again I received permission errors. I came across the spiceworks link you provided when researching this a few months ago but the problem is I don't know what information was contained in the original mdw.

It appears to me that without the original .mdw I can't go any further. Just by getting a copy of an .mdw and renaming it to the original mdw file name (which I don't know) seems to me wouldn't work b/c that would defeat the whole purpose of trying to secure your DB unless you populated that mdw with the same information as the original. Since I don't know that information, back to where I was before, NOWHERE. The one good thing in this situation is that I'm not at fault for letting it get to this point. This DB was created and used long before I started working at this place. It was just a few months ago that they wanted to standardize the DB so it can be used for future projects without having to make major changes to it each time a new project arose.

Sounds like it's time to start over - if no one can find the mdw file. Archived network backups might be your only hope.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.