Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Forms and Writing in Their Notes Section

I have inherited a MS Access 2010 db that needs some work. The db is by no means ready to ship.

One of the things that I have noticed is that the inconsistencies in the forms particularly the notes section.

It is completely fubar in my opinion.

In this section some are so messed up that noting can be typed in at all. The is just a empty square
    frozen with no allowance for typing things into the box as one would want to do.

Where is this discussed in any tutorial and where can I learn more about it? I could ask questions about it, but I honestly
    think the thing to do is read up on it.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Review the purpose of the database. What is it for? Who will use it?
    There are lots of tutorials on Forms, but we don't know your issue, and you haven't provided any detail.
    Is this Form bound to a table?

The is just a empty square
    frozen with no allowance for typing things into the box as one would want to do.
    Perhaps that is not how it is designed. Perhaps it's just for displaying data??

What does the documentation or specification say about the form and the "square"?

inconsistencies in the forms particularly the notes section
    This is typical of allowing users to enter free-form text into a "box" on a form.

You won't find a tutorial specific to your form or database. You will find tutorials on form design; form/subform;
    data entry forms....

Good luck.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    The issue is how to make all notes entry sessions on all forms consistent. That section of the forms is anything, but consistent.
    For, example in one section any kind of typing of info in the box, the text goes from right to left instead of left to right. That is clearly not
    something I or my sponsors want!

I just need to know some ideas on changing the text and entry method.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Is it possible when entering text into the notes section of a form to use the carriage return? It seems it is not possible since when I am typing and I get to the end of the typed line in a notes text box and hit carriage

return the cursor completely jumps out of the note text box into another text. Usually, the next one in the sequence. I would like it to just go to the next line. Is this possible?

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I would like it to just go to the next line. Is this possible?
    Yes - set the "Enter Key Behaviour" property of the textbox to "New line in field"

It sound as if your issues are not so much with the design of the form itself, but rather with the data in the table. Could any of the notes data have been entered on a machine in a different part of the world, with completely different settings in regional properties? That might explain some of the weird things you are seeing.

Is the field you are working with a Memo field in the table? Memo fields are pretty flexible, and can contain all sorts of things, and if many different users have been entering data, you could have quite a variety.

Consistency in format is often more of a user education issue than it is a problem with the database itself.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP

One more thing

Okay, there is follow up to this question about something that I just found out. The notes section of one of my forms cannot be edited. It is just not allowing my cursor to do anything - even a simple contact. I am unsure as to how to change this.

What is the command? Currently I am blocked from doing anything in this notes section.

Any help appreciated. thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed
    Last edited by Lou_Reed; 12-21-2016 at 03:42 PM. Reason: correection

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    In the properties of the form control containing the notes, check the "Locked" property - if it is set to "Yes", that is the issue - change it to "No".

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Where is this "Locked property" located? I found something like that in the data tab and changed it from yes to no. All it did was change the color of the notes box from white to grey - nothing more. I still could not write to it.

This is either the wrong box or there must be something else to be done. As I said all it does is change the note box from white to grey, but you still cannot write to it.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Never mind, I found it. The additional task to be done is to enable it which is write above the locked property. I not sure why you must do two or what is the difference between the two properties? Saying yes to enable did it.

Thanks.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.