ProvPC is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Calculated Field to Display a Name

Hi there!

I'm trying to create a calculated field for display purposes. I have a tabbed form with numerous fields that will require users to enter data from a variety of forms. In order to avoid some confusion, I've create a field at the top of the forms (visible on all tabs) that carries forward the names entered on the first form to avoid confusion.

The idea is pretty simple. Names are entered on the first tab of the form in varying combinations of first, last and middle names of either one person (if single) or two people (if married). The fields are HoHLastName, HoHFirstName, HoHMiddleName and SpouseLastName, SpouseFirstName, SpouseMiddleName. Of course, some persons are single, so there isn't any spouse names at all, and others don't have or didn't provide middle names (or provided initials instead), so sometimes those fields are empty in one or both people.

The format desired is this:
    HoHLastName, HoHFirstName HoHMiddleName & SpouseFirstName SpouseMiddleName SpouseLastName (the SpouseLastName should only be present if it is different from the HoH). Like this:
    Mouse, Mickey M & Minnie P
    Duck, Donald & Daisy Diane
    Dawg, Goofy

Etc.

I have a formula that worked splendidly for the most part:
    IIf(IsNull([HoHLastName]),"",[HoHLastName])+IIf(IsNull([HoHFirst Name]),"",", ")+IIf(IsNull([HoHFirst Name]),"",[HoHFirst Name])+IIf(IsNull([HoHMiddleInitial]),""," ")+IIf(IsNull([HoHMiddleInitial]),"",[HoHMiddleInitial])+IIf(IsNull([SpouseFirstName]),""," & ")+IIf(IsNull([SpouseFirstName]),"",[SpouseFirstName])+IIf(IsNull([SpouseMiddleInitial]),""," ")+IIf(IsNull([SpouseMiddleInitial]),"",[SpouseMiddleInitial])+IIf(IsNull([SpouseLastName]),""," ")+IIf(IsNull([SpouseLastName]),"",[SpouseLastName])

This does exactly what I want it to do, except for the whole SpouseLastName only being present if different from the HoH thing. It displays the text as Mouse, Mickey M & Minnie P Mouse.

So I tried THIS:
    IIf(IsNull([HoHLastName]),"",[HoHLastName])+IIf(IsNull([HoHFirstName]),"",", ")+IIf(IsNull([HoHFirstName]),"",[HoHFirstName])+IIf(IsNull([HoHMiddleName]),""," ")+IIf(IsNull([HoHMiddleName]),"",[HoHMiddleName])+IIf(IsNull([SpouseFirstName]),""," & ")+IIf(IsNull([SpouseFirstName]),"",[SpouseFirstName])+IIf(IsNull([SpouseMiddleName]),""," ")+IIf(IsNull([SpouseMiddleName]),"",[SpouseMiddleName])+IIf(IsNull([SpouseLastName]),""," ")+IIf([SpouseLastName]=[HoHLastName],"",[SpouseLastName]

This actually works, except that now the only time the name is displayed is if there IS a spouse. Single persons do not display at all. I suspect this is because it waits to see what's going to be in the SpouseLastName field before calculating the name - nothing there, nothing calculated - but I'm not bright enough to be sure.

So... is there a way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    you dont have to put all that IIF into the text box.
    you can put a similar version in the ON CURRENT and AFTERUPDATE events to build the field
    and have lots more code control....

Code:
    sub form_onCurrent()
    BuildName
    end sub

sub txtLastName_Afterupdate()
    BuildName
    end sub

sub txtFirsttName_Afterupdate()
    BuildName
    end sub

sub txtSpouseName_Afterupdate()
    BuildName
    end sub

sub BuildName()
    If ISNULL([SpouseLastName]) then                 'dont assemble the spouse fields
        vSpouse = ""
    else
      vSpouse =" " & [SpouseFirstName]) & "   " [SpouseMiddleName]) "  " & [SpouseLastName]
    endif

'assemble both names 
    vMain =[FirstName]) & "   " [MiddleName]) "  " & [LastName]
    txtBox = vMain & vSpouse
    end sub

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for the tip - I'll give this a try!

I'm absolutely no expert in such things, but I'm not seeing where the script avoids adding the Spouse's last name if it is the same as the HoH's last name? That's the part where I fell down when trying to do things with my calculated field. (It could also be I'm just not smart enough to see how it's working, so I'll give it a try anyway!)

Thank you!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I thought I'd close this out by saying that I (sadly) couldn't quite figure out how to make the above work, so I took a less wise approach, and simply added an additional field to the table that compared last names, leaving the spouse's last name blank if it is the same as the head of household, and then used that result in my calculated name field. It's not pretty, and I'm sure your way is better, but it's an approach I understand and could make function. Thanks for your input!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.